The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londonmyst
As a female I decide whether I want to have sex, if I want children, how many and if I want a father involved (biological or otherwise).
"My body, my choice".

In Britain parental responsibility is automatic for all adult women who have given birth as soon as the baby is born.
This is not the case for all men, nor do I want any laws amended to change the legal position.
I don't support equal custody rights for men or offering them automatic parental responsibility.

Parental responsibility is automatic for all adult women, and I am completely fine with this. In rare cases, the partner may choose to leave as soon as the child is born, and so I am in total agreement of all adult women having automatic responsibility to a child they gave birth to.
Original post by Joleee
only thing that really impressed me is high intelligence, strong faith, resilience and loyalty.

High intelligence makes you less likely to be religious. For example: https://www.psypost.org/2019/11/meta-analysis-of-83-studies-produces-very-strong-evidence-for-a-negative-relationship-between-intelligence-and-religiosity-54897
Original post by TheStarboy
I think you got them mixed up. Love marriages are generally considered more open because you get to pick the partner. An arranged marriage can be open but they are inherently conservative. The point is to give the parents control on who their child can be married too. However, love marriage is quite similar in that regard. The act of introducing your partner to your family to get them approved is part of many love marriages too. The only difference is that the parents are only restricted to displaying their approval or disapproval.

It definitely varies. I see them both quite similar. Personally I've been exposed to arranged marriages where they are VERY similar to a love marriage where parents aren't controlling at all, and are more liberal. Like I said in reply to someone else, its deffo dependant on cultural practices and other factors.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel so people are attacking my religion so I don’t want to continue this conversation any longer. Some of the comments are hurtful, insulting and mocking

Have they not been removed? To be fair, there's plenty to mock, but this isn't the place, and some posts were just plain nasty.

As I understand it, arranged marriages are a cultural thing. Most Westerners wouldn't consider them. It's up to you to decide what you want, but a lack of any physical attraction doesn't bode well, IMO. Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tk40xxD
You could always ask for your father's help in the matter.

One thing I learned from my mother is that children are the greatest joy in her life.

Not the husband.

not true

husband wife relationship is the most intimate relationship

the husband isnt just some sperm donor or some ATM machine

have some respect for us men because u cant get pregnant on ur own!
I feel so people are attacking my religion so I don’t want to continue this conversation any longer. Some of the comments are hurtful, insulting and mocking

Apologies but free speech allows you to say anything so as long as you do not incite violence. Nonetheless, if someone is stating a fact about your religion or culture, and you are unable to handle it, then so be it. Facts do not care about your feelings. If our society was dictated by emotion, we would be in a very dark place.
Original post by tk40xxD
Yes, the husband is the sperm donor and provider. All of this "love" talk sounds like it's from people who flit from eros to eros and can't sustain a relationship.

As an Asian myself, honestly I can say for a fact that there would be a lot more divorces in our communities if the whole concept of divorce wasn’t so taboo...

The reason why people stay married in our community isn’t always because they are 100% happy but often because splitting up would be seen as wrong in society...
not true

husband wife relationship is the most intimate relationship

the husband isnt just some sperm donor or some ATM machine

have some respect for us men because u cant get pregnant on ur own!

Let's just say that both relationships are unique, and that it is down to the individual to find out which relationship they treasure more. In this instance, there is no outright correct answer. Also, women can get pregnant through IVF, and so they do not need men to get pregnant. However, that is until all of the sperm banks run out. Nonetheless, I do agree that men should be seen equally in terms of parenthood, and that we are not just sperm donors.
Reply 68

"This means that there are factors besides intelligence that explain why people are or are not religious. It also means that although more intelligent people tend to be less religious on the average, predicting religiosity from intelligence for individuals is fallible,”

Quote from the author of the study.

We can paint the view* however we want to.
^
In case of misunderstanding, I am not saying you are lying, rather creating a sensational headline. No insult to you.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by curly123x
As an Asian myself, honestly I can say for a fact that there would be a lot more divorces in our communities if the whole concept of divorce wasn’t so taboo...

The reason why people stay married in our community isn’t always because they are 100% happy but often because splitting up would be seen as wrong in society...

That is true. I am Asian too, and although K-dramas are fantasy for the most part, some of them do portray an objective reality, in that some people remain married for upholding the family image. This is sometimes true with CEOs and big-time investors, since they sometimes require their wife to befriend their investor's wife to help get a contract.
Original post by HumbleBee_x
I see as something open too, you're narrowing down what you want in your potential spouse with the help of family and friends.
Arranged set up- you are actively seeking for love, with the intention of marriage.
With a love marriage, that's not so much the case. Marriage isnt the first thing that pops into ur head.

I agree, some could view it as "open". But I am speaking from personal experience. So my point of view is limited. But I found the arranged relationship I was in to be quite restricting and conservative. For the first few weeks, both my family and the girl instructed me no holding hands, and any form of physical contact was barred. And we usually always had someone accompany us everywhere we went together, and stayed a certain distance from each other, I was even restricted to spending a limited amount of time on the phone with her. At the behest of my family. Which was difficult for me. There was no romance, no connection, no spark, Nothing. Because they wanted us to reserve all the romance for our marriage.

And I kept breaking the rules, and kept getting reminded by my family, sometimes angrily not to hold her hand or get too close! Which frustrated me. So I ended it, Which disappointed my parents and the girl's family. At one point, my father literally wanted to disown me.

I wasn't even physically attracted to her. But my family kept telling me she was very pious and came from a good family and I should give it a shot. My father telling me it would make him proud. Which put so much pressure on me to go with her. Yet, I was also told that it was my choice.

Which makes me now think I was actually thrown into a forced relationship disguised as a consensual relationship. :/

Love relationships are sooo much more open minded and less restrictive, and you have no barriers in the way. And you choose, not your parents. Which enriches the relationship.

But again, I am speaking from personal experience, I am sure not all arranged marriages are this stern, and authoritarian. But Idk.
Original post by Da14a
"This means that there are factors besides intelligence that explain why people are or are not religious. It also means that although more intelligent people tend to be less religious on the average, predicting religiosity from intelligence for individuals is fallible,”

Quote from the author of the study.

We can paint the view* however we want to.
^
In case of misunderstanding, I am not saying you are lying, rather creating a sensational headline. No insult to you.

This isn't a place for a debate - I was merely pointing out that two traits have a negative correlation.
Original post by Raymondsantos
I agree, some could view it as "open". But I am speaking from personal experience. So my point of view is limited. But I found the arranged relationship I was in to be quite restricting and conservative. For the first few weeks, both my family and the girl instructed me no holding hands, and any form of physical contact was barred. And we usually always had someone accompany us everywhere we went together, and stayed a certain distance from each other, I was even restricted to spending a limited amount of time on the phone with her. At the behest of my family. Which was difficult for me. There was no romance, no connection, no spark, Nothing. Because they wanted us to reserve all the romance for our marriage.

And I kept breaking the rules, and kept getting reminded by my family, sometimes angrily not to hold her hand or get too close! Which frustrated me. So I ended it, Which disappointed my parents and the girl's family. At one point, my father literally wanted to disown me.

I wasn't even physically attracted to her. But my family kept telling me she was very pious and came from a good family and I should give it a shot. My father telling me it would make him proud. Which put so much pressure on me to go with her. Yet, I was also told that it was my choice.

Which makes me now think I was actually thrown into a forced relationship disguised as a consensual relationship. :/

Love relationships are sooo much more open minded and less restrictive, and you have no barriers in the way. And you choose, not your parents. Which enriches the relationship.

But again, I am speaking from personal experience, I am sure not all arranged marriages are this stern, and authoritarian. But Idk.

Its deffo something which is spoken from personal experience.

Wow this thread got me wondering someday I'll be thrown into this, hopefully in a good way😂☺
and where do the IVF treatments come from? they come from male sperm

also men can have a surrogate mother so we dont need women either

and muslim women dont do IVF

IVF is cuckoldry but instead your paying for it

and IVF has a low success rate but a surrogate is guarenteed to give you a kid

i can go on and on

islam says fathers get custody of the kids When they reach a certain age it can be at puberty or at around 7 years old

and mothers cant remarry or else they lose custody of their children

so islam is based af and not cucked like western laws

fathers never pay alimony only child support which is a small amount required to pay for the children

im not going to do a civil marriage only an islamic legally unrecognised one

Oh, I was actually talking about surrogacy. I do not know why I said IVF, since that is a completely different process. I retract what I said on IVF in terms of its relation to the context at hand. IVF is not 'cuckoldry'. That is not the right way to view it; IVF is primarily there for those who either wish to remain a single parent, or have difficulties with their sexual organs. Mothers cannot remarry or else they lose custody of their child? What kind of sense does that make? In addition to that, I disagree with your characterisation that fathers never pay alimony and only child support. This is not always the case, and in most cases, the mother tends to be working when the child gets older, and so they may not require an alimony.

Ha, Islam is based af? Please, this is the same religion that murders apostates in accordance with Shariah law, stones homosexuals and oppresses women. There is enough evidence in both the scriptures associated with Islam to support my points. Islam, along with all religions, are simply man-made political ideologies that are there to make people think the same way in a blind manner. It is no coincidence that you most likely believe in the same religion as your parents, and their parents believed in the same religion as their parents and so on. The reality is, there are thousands of religions in the world, and all of them are incompatible, regardless of how many similarities you can associate with each of them. In the end, none of them coincide with each other exactly. Therefore, not all of them can be right. As a result, Islam has a one in a few thousand chance of being the right religion, and even then, religion is redundant without the existence of God. In order for religion to have any foundation or relevance, God has to exist, as this is the primary premise to which all religions are extracted from. Once you prove the existence of a supernatural being with an overwhelming amount of credible and irrefutable evidence, only then can you go and debate about which religion is correct. Sure, there are some things that science cannot track back completely, with the most common one being how the universe began. Nonetheless, science is forever progressing, and I believe science will one day hold the answers to the things we question the most. In the end, every religion is flawed to some extent, and especially Islam, given its horrific passages in its scriptures. There is nothing wrong with not knowing about how a process started, but to suggest that a book from 1500 years ago holds the answers to a universe that is 13.8 billion years old is simply ludicrous. If God really did exist, there is a lot to question him about. Cancer in children? Wildfires that kill thousands of animals and homes in green places? Natural disasters? The problem of evil is one of the greatest things that goes against all religions. Please do not bring this idea that "life is a test", because I do not see anything "testing" about being born deaf, blind or having cancer. This sort of implementation on humans is simply morally reprehensible, and it puts people at a clear disadvantage in life. If God really did exist, to which he does not as far as we know, he sure is a cruel, cruel being.
As a muslim, I totally get where your coming from, hopefully you won't be pressured into an arranged marriage (It would be against Islam for parents to force you into marriage which is something people aren't aware of a lot of the time lol) but that doesn't mean arranged marriages are always bad. You could opt into one if you wanted of course though, that is perfectly acceptable. Maybe ask your parents for advice or get to know someone through halal means. Getting to know someone, or bonding with someone over a topic you like or relate to can be prospect to look into for a potential partner! You got this :smile:
Original post by HumbleBee_x
Its deffo something which is spoken from personal experience.

Wow this thread got me wondering someday I'll be thrown into this, hopefully in a good way😂☺

I agree. I think it's more to do with customs of certain cultures than religion.

Wdym?
Original post by Raymondsantos
I agree. I think it's more to do with customs of certain cultures than religion.

Wdym?

Nvm 😁
Original post by onceuponatime1
Apologies but free speech allows you to say anything so as long as you do not incite violence. Nonetheless, if someone is stating a fact about your religion or culture, and you are unable to handle it, then so be it. Facts do not care about your feelings. If our society was dictated by emotion, we would be in a very dark place.

There a fine line between stating facts and making insensitive and mocking comments. Anyway, now I know where not to post. Some people can’t seem to tolerate that not everyone thinks the same way as they do.
There a fine line between stating facts and making insensitive and mocking comments. Anyway, now I know where not to post. Some people can’t seem to tolerate that not everyone thinks the same way as they do.

That's TSR for you. You're bound to attract certain individuals when you mention keywords. They usually lurk around, waiting for the opportunity to spread why they know onto others (without their consent of course). Engaging in their attempts almost ruins the thread singlehandedly so its better to ignore them.
Original post by onceuponatime1
That is true. I am Asian too, and although K-dramas are fantasy for the most part, some of them do portray an objective reality, in that some people remain married for upholding the family image. This is sometimes true with CEOs and big-time investors, since they sometimes require their wife to befriend their investor's wife to help get a contract.

Yep! Unfortunately it’s one of the sad truths of society that married couples often stay together though they don’t love eachother anymore, especially in societies where divorce is still seen as taboo!

Imo it’s much better to split up maturely and move on with you’re lives than carry on living together when it’s clear that certain differences will never be resolved 🤷🏽*♀️

Latest

Trending

Trending