The Student Room Group

geography gcse

Hi,

In a geography GCSE exam, would you be expected to look at a map and recognize the countries on the map without labels?

I've been receiving a lot of homework recently where i'm given a map and expected to write about the countries on the map, but i don't know what countries they are?? because there are no labels?

Questioning whether I should be memorizing an atlas right now.
I suppose it would be useful, and it's not that difficult to know where most countries are
it depends on your syllabus. But having a good idea of where countries are on a map is good general knowledge!
No, unless the location is one that you've been expected to study in which case, maybe? I don't remember ever getting a question like that in an exam but sometimes they throw in some random questions. If they do ask you, it'll probably be only a 1 marker so not too big of a deal. Just guess if you get stuck.

Even if they ask you to label a country, it should be a fairly easy to recognise country like India or China so it shouldn't be hard.
Reply 4
You wouldn't expect to know and label many countries on a map, but you should know the USA, China, India and other countries that you might have learnt or studied about. I remember in my GCSE exam we were given a map of Africa and we had to write a case study about water in a "Studied African Country", but I wouldn't worry too much. (However it is useful to be able to know and label countries on a map!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending