jacoop1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi guys! I am currently an FY1 and I've been thinking of applying for the GP training (as an ST1) at the end of my FY2 year. I see that the basic annual salary for GP ST1 is around 38k with only 40h work a week.
My question: Do many GP ST1s earn the minimum monthly salary of £2,400 or is it higher because you inevitably work more than 40h with night shifts etc? If so, what's an average monthly salary for a GP ST1?
Thanks!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jacoop1)
Hi guys! I am currently an FY1 and I've been thinking of applying for the GP training (as an ST1) at the end of my FY2 year. I see that the basic annual salary for GP ST1 is around 38k with only 40h work a week.
My question: Do many GP ST1s earn the minimum monthly salary of £2,400 or is it higher because you inevitably work more than 40h with night shifts etc? If so, what's an average monthly salary for a GP ST1?
Thanks!
Depends on whether you are doing on-calls during that rotation or not.

As you may (or may not) know, GPST has to incorporate 18 months of being in a GP, and 18 months elsewhere
https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/recruitment/training

If you are doing a medical / surgical (etc.) post with on-calls you will be paid more, otherwise it'll be the standard base salary.

The exact posts offered by Deaneries in their programmes vary, but you will be offered a complete programme that complies with the regulations set down by the GMC.

All posts are accredited and approved for GP training. The specialties available include: General Medicine Elderly Care Medicine Paediatrics, Community Paediatrics Obstetrics and Gynaecology Psychiatry and old age Psychiatry ENT Accident and Emergency Dermatology Ophthalmology Palliative Care

Some Deaneries have innovative programmes that combine hospital and General Practice posts.
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
jacoop1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Depends on whether you are doing on-calls during that rotation or not.

As you may (or may not) know, GPST has to incorporate 18 months of being in a GP, and 18 months elsewhere
https://gprecruitment.hee.nhs.uk/recruitment/training

If you are doing a medical / surgical (etc.) post with on-calls you will be paid more, otherwise it'll be the standard base salary.

The exact posts offered by Deaneries in their programmes vary, but you will be offered a complete programme that complies with the regulations set down by the GMC.

All posts are accredited and approved for GP training. The specialties available include: General Medicine Elderly Care Medicine Paediatrics, Community Paediatrics Obstetrics and Gynaecology Psychiatry and old age Psychiatry ENT Accident and Emergency Dermatology Ophthalmology Palliative Care

Some Deaneries have innovative programmes that combine hospital and General Practice posts.
I'm assuming when you pass the MSRA exam, depending on the score you get, you list different programs with predefined posts just like we did in our Foundation Year. If that's the case and you end up in, lets say general medicine, everyone there works more than 40h which boosts your salary.
But what happens during your 18 month GP rotation? Do you just get the basic pay since you don't work at night / do not have on calls?

Thanks mate!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
...But what happens during your 18 month GP rotation? Do you just get the basic pay since you don't work at night / do not have on calls?...
Yes it'll be your base salary (which, if you're in England will be higher since there's no more banding but a 11-12% increase over the previous base salary or the base salary in Scotland / Wales).

Of course, remember that there will be a jump in salary in your GPST3 year even though the chances are, you'll be based in the practice for the whole year then.
Anonymous #1
Report 8 months ago
My question: Do many GP ST1s earn the minimum monthly salary of £2,400 or is it higher because you inevitably work more than 40h with night shifts etc?
I earn £2500 monthly as an F2 - and that’s low as only 40% banding. Friend F2 gets considerably more on 50% band.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm assuming when you pass the MSRA exam, depending on the score you get, you list different programs with predefined posts just like we did in our Foundation Year. If that's the case and you end up in, lets say general medicine, everyone there works more than 40h which boosts your salary.
But what happens during your 18 month GP rotation? Do you just get the basic pay since you don't work at night / do not have on calls?

Thanks mate!
You get the basic rate + premium (if you live in England, different in the rest of the UK).

For posts within a GP practice (when you are designated a GP registrar), there is a fixed additional payment which is £8,789 for the current year pro rata (e.g. if you do 6 months in a GP practice you get half this amount). This allowance is NOT payable when in hospital posts as part of your GP rotation.

I think this article might help you:

http://gptraining.info/gp-training-p...istrar-net-pay

NB: There is OOH work during the GP portion of the training (both in ST1 and ST3). Not the same as an acute rota but it's there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (35)
29.66%
No (83)
70.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed