Wondering if I should ditch my friends group

Watch
Nothinghere21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I have a group consisting with 5 people if you count with me.

The 4 of my friends are constantly complimenting each other on their looks, while I never even hear that I have a nice shirt. Another thing is that they seem to completely ignore my achievements. I am usually the one to get the best grades, and they never really seemed to pay attention if something went well for me. But a few days ago there was this test where one of the friends got 1 point more than me, and everyone was like "yaaay she's so intelligent, probably the smartest out of us!".
Now a lot of u may think I am jelly, but I just feel unappreciated. I do not expect them to call me the smartest out of us, but I don't want them to completely ignore my achievements either (like they did so far).

Should I think about ditching them? Some also blame this on me being the quietest... but in all normal friend groups, everyone should be treated equally. Also do not tell me to talk to them, this is definitely not a good solution in my case.
Um,Bridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nothinghere21)

The 4 of my friends are constantly complimenting each other on their looks, while I never even hear that I have a nice shirt. Another thing is that they seem to completely ignore my achievements. I am usually the one to get the best grades, and they never really seemed to pay attention if something went well for me. But a few days ago there was this test where one of the friends got 1 point more than me, and everyone was like "yaaay she's so intelligent, probably the smartest out of us!".
Now a lot of u may think I am jelly, but I just feel unappreciated. I do not expect them to call me the smartest out of us, but I don't want them to completely ignore my achievements either (like they did so far).

Should I think about ditching them? Some also blame this on me being the quietest... but in all normal friend groups, everyone should be treated equally. Also do not tell me to talk to them, this is definitely not a good solution in my case.
In my opinion, yes. If they don't make you happy or make you feel like your not worth it then yes you should. You shouldn't let your self-esteem get ruined by them. Associate yourself with people who make you feel happy - a similar incident like this happened to me. Leaving my old friendship group was probably the best thing that happened to me. It's a tough move but once you do it you'll feel much better.
IVLIVSCAESAR
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think ditching is easier said than done, so maybe you might want to set up a second friend group to drift towards rather than immediately severing ties?

Yeah, it is a bit harder to be noticed when you're quiet, but if you can train yourself to be assertive (easier said than done) then you may be noticed to a more satisfactory level without having to necessarily be louder
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Ditch them.
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah
Babzical
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Try and talk to them and explain how you are feeling. If they still don't change or disregard your feelings then they are not friends, if they are really your friends then they'll listen to you and change. It may be hard to ditch them but sometimes that's the best thing to do.
Nothinghere21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Babzical)
Try and talk to them and explain how you are feeling. If they still don't change or disregard your feelings then they are not friends, if they are really your friends then they'll listen to you and change. It may be hard to ditch them but sometimes that's the best thing to do.
I said that I will never talk to them. This is definitely not a good idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads