Relatives want my old laptop, but it doesn't work properly

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I've been told to give my old acer laptop away because the relatives' one doesn't work and therefore needs a new one. I've recently bought myself a new MacBook because my previous one was very very slow and barely worked to its capacity.
The thing is, the old laptop DOESN'T WORK so I don't know why anyone would want it. It takes a village, a complete village to navigate through the apps etc, everything is so so slow. I have lost all the patience in the world trying to work it out. I'm trying to delete my old documents and data from it but honestly, I feel as if I'm getting absolutely nowhere. If I had my own way, I would just tell them to forget it, because it's causing too much hard work and the person can easily buy themselves a new laptop. But I don't think I can get away with this cause practically people perceive me as selfish. I was harassed a few weeks ago asking for my old iPhone, and I couldn't find it but I could sense that they thought "I didn't want them to have it" it's an old phone, I don't want it and I couldn't find it. If I had found it I would've given it to them. There are so many bad perceptions I think my family have of me, or just talk about me with one another without my presence.
I wish I could just stand up to them and say FCKKK.. lol
But just one more year, then I can move on with my life, I plan to leave the city after uni to pursue my career.

(Sorry just needed to vent- if anyone's been through a similar situation be sure to share)
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I've been told to give my old acer laptop away because the relatives' one doesn't work and therefore needs a new one. I've recently bought myself a new MacBook because my previous one was very very slow and barely worked to its capacity.
The thing is, the old laptop DOESN'T WORK so I don't know why anyone would want it. It takes a village, a complete village to navigate through the apps etc, everything is so so slow. I have lost all the patience in the world trying to work it out. I'm trying to delete my old documents and data from it but honestly, I feel as if I'm getting absolutely nowhere. If I had my own way, I would just tell them to forget it, because it's causing too much hard work and the person can easily buy themselves a new laptop. But I don't think I can get away with this cause practically people perceive me as selfish. I was harassed a few weeks ago asking for my old iPhone, and I couldn't find it but I could sense that they thought "I didn't want them to have it" it's an old phone, I don't want it and I couldn't find it. If I had found it I would've given it to them. There are so many bad perceptions I think my family have of me, or just talk about me with one another without my presence.
I wish I could just stand up to them and say FCKKK.. lol
But just one more year, then I can move on with my life, I plan to leave the city after uni to pursue my career.

(Sorry just needed to vent- if anyone's been through a similar situation be sure to share)
Can you remove the hard drive or just wipe it?
Reiinstall windows and put in an ssd?
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Windows should have a factory reset option if you want to get rid of the data.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
Can you remove the hard drive or just wipe it?
Reiinstall windows and put in an ssd?
I wouldn't know but I'm researching and trying.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Windows should have a factory reset option if you want to get rid of the data.
How do I get to that? My settings isn't saying much
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How do I get to that? My settings isn't saying much
Is it on windows 10?
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
One simple Google search and you can find out how to easily reset your whole laptop. It's not hard at all, and I can kind of see what your relatives are getting at tbh.
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't understand the bit about the village? Are you sending your pc abroad where it is more expensive to buy computers? Maybe that is why they want your old one.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
I don't understand the bit about the village? Are you sending your pc abroad where it is more expensive to buy computers? Maybe that is why they want your old one.
It takes a handful of someone's life to just operate it. My cousin was even losing patience helping me to try and work it lol. my pc isn't going abroad, I'm just sending it to someone who is local
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Is it on windows 10?
I think it's window's 7 or 8 cause I got this in 2018
username5177602
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it's window's 7 or 8 cause I got this in 2018
Press Windows+Pause on the keyboard to bring up the system information screen to find out, though given it was released in 2018 it's probably running Windows 10.
Last edited by username5177602; 4 weeks ago
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you've already upgraded, then tell your relatives the truth - that they can have the old laptop but that it's incredibly slow
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads