\^_^/
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Baoobei)
Hey I'm currently in Year 12 studying Maths, Biology, Physics, Further Maths and Computer Science. I picked all 5 because I genuinely love them all (except Maths and Further Maths, but annoyingly it's one of my strengths and essential for my desired course). It's my dream to study Computer Science at Oxbridge or Imperial.After 2 weeks, (I know, I know) I am already reconsidering. I would really appreciate some advice as to what I should do. I'm deciding between dropping a subject or pushing my piano exam to the year after in order to conserve my health :^) Would my UCAS application be better with 4 A-levels and grade 8 piano or 5 A-levels and grade 7 piano? (assuming they were roughly the same grades)If I should drop a subject, should I drop Computer Science or Biology? I know Biology is not necessarily useful for my application but I love it so much and having skimmed through the Computer Science A-level course, it looks a lot like the GCSE course but just more in-depth.Please help (╥_╥) my schedule is already looking pretty sad and some of my extra-curriculars haven't even started up yet. I haven't played Valorant in weeks.
hey
i think you should push your piano exam as you going to be overwelmed with all the work and you want to do well with your a-levels as well as your piano exam
im in yr 12 aswell so my advice wont be as good as what others will say
good luck
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly, 5 is probably too much I would recommend dropping in one so you can focus on the others. It’s much better to have 3/4 amazing grades than 5 ok grades, you do not want to burn out and tbh I’m surprised you’re even allowed to do 5, my school was reluctant to even let people do 4 never mind 5 subjects, good luck
k92e67
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
4 is OK, I would almost always advise against 5. The benefit of doing the 5th really doesn't come close to outweighing the downside (less time for other subjects, stress, lack of study-life balance...). 5 may be alright if you absolutely love each and every one of those subjects and don't mind dedicating the next 2 years of your life to your A-Levels (and little participation in extracurricular activities too) but I don't think thats the case with you, since you don't like F maths so far and you have extracurriculars lined up. Drop Bio if you want to do CS at imperial imo since its arguably the least relevant.

The 5th grade is pretty much useless!
Last edited by k92e67; 1 month ago
hajima
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
There's no difference between 5 and 4 A Levels with or without grade X in piano. Universities can't discriminate between candidates based on the number of A Levels they've done (beyond three) because not everyone can do 4 or 5 A Levels for timetabling reasons.

I would advise dropping Computer Science if you really enjoy Biology because you won't be able to cope if you don't love the subjects you're doing, especially because you're also planning on doing piano grades alongside extra-curricular. There really is no point in doing 5 A Levels.
Last edited by hajima; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.37%
I'm not sure (59)
4.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (369)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (614)
48.73%

Watched Threads