Fun facts about autumn!

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Autumn is here! Despite the sunshine and heat, it is actually autumn now - my favourite season! :yeah: Here are some fun facts about this cosy season:

1) Technically, autumn doesn't begin until 22nd/23rd September in this part of the world. This is because of the equinox and the tilt of the Earth. However, a lot of people (me included!) say it begins on 1st September to make things easy.

2) Trees drop their leaves/change the colour of them to help them survive over winter. Lower light levels = less food production for the trees, so shedding the leaves means they have higher chances of survival. That's pretty good for us as we get some great photos during this period! :daydreaming:

3) You'll probably live longer if you were born in autumn. Always knew us autumn babes were gooduns.

4) Apparently, women lose more hair in autumn than any other time of year. This is because our bodies keep hold of it in the summer to protect our heads against the hot summer sun. Weird, right? :curious:

5) The leaves are changing and falling later than ever before. 30 years ago, the leaves of oak trees fell a week earlier than they do today. Interesting! :hmmmm:

Do you know any cool facts about autumn? Has anything surprised you?

Check out our other autumn threads here!
\^_^/
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i was close to being born in autum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads