BettyLovesDrama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I have started my PGCE course at Uni which is going okay so far - quite chill hours so not too stressed.

I start my placement in two weeks - it's three times a week for two and a half hours.

When I start they said I would be observing the class?

What does this mean?

Should I just go there on the first day and make generalised notes on the session, and then next time I am in pick a specific area to focus and keep doing that so that I have well rounded notes?

Just a little confused as to what I will have to do for those two and a half hours.

Cheers.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
So I have started my PGCE course at Uni which is going okay so far - quite chill hours so not too stressed.

I start my placement in two weeks - it's three times a week for two and a half hours.

When I start they said I would be observing the class?

What does this mean?

Should I just go there on the first day and make generalised notes on the session, and then next time I am in pick a specific area to focus and keep doing that so that I have well rounded notes?

Just a little confused as to what I will have to do for those two and a half hours.

Cheers.
Have they given you no guidance yet?

You need a lesson plan and sit near the back preferably somewhere you can scan the whole class. [Depend on COVID rules what you can do in the lesson]. Note what the teacher is doing and what the students are doing - what impact is there on their learning and how do you know? Is there a specific lessons structure? Why was this structure used?

If you google 'How to observe a lesson?' you will find some ideas. I would expect your provider to give you a pro-forma and some guidance.
BettyLovesDrama
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Have they given you no guidance yet?

You need a lesson plan and sit near the back preferably somewhere you can scan the whole class. [Depend on COVID rules what you can do in the lesson]. Note what the teacher is doing and what the students are doing - what impact is there on their learning and how do you know? Is there a specific lessons structure? Why was this structure used?

If you google 'How to observe a lesson?' you will find some ideas. I would expect your provider to give you a pro-forma and some guidance.
Haven't had any guidance yet, but your answer was really helpful. Going to take note of that and hopefully it'll be okay.

Thank you
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BettyLovesDrama)
Haven't had any guidance yet, but your answer was really helpful. Going to take note of that and hopefully it'll be okay.

Thank you
I do a lot of observing as part of my SLT role and helping teachers in other schools

Sometimes I pick a few students to check every 5 minutes to see what they are doing. I have developed a knack of quickly identifying those likely to go off task! [They tend to sit near a window or a wall - the back is too obvious]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (24)
17.65%
I'm not sure (3)
2.21%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
33.09%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.21%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.85%

Watched Threads