HxTrinity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello,

I am just curious at what courses at the University of Cambridge are the most competitive in a ranking from most competitive to least competitive.

I am interested to see where Computer Science is on the scale of competitiveness for Cambridge.

Overall I heard that Medicine is the most competitive and Maths is the least. Anyway, I'm interested to looking at your lists from
Most Competitive all the way down to Least Competitive

Letting you know, the competitiveness of a course won't alter my decision for my future degree. I'm just plain old curious

Thanks,
Last edited by HxTrinity; 1 month ago
vikomen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree that maths is the least competitive. There are subjects where 50 percent of applicants get offers (Music for example). On the other hand, the most competitive subject should be Computer science.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HxTrinity)
Hello,

I am just curious at what courses at the University of Cambridge are the most competitive in a ranking from most competitive to least competitive.

I am interested to see where Computer Science is on the scale of competitiveness for Cambridge.

Overall I heard that Medicine is the most competitive and Maths is the least. Anyway, I'm interested to looking at your lists from
Most Competitive all the way down to Least Competitive

Letting you know, the competitiveness of a course won't alter my decision for my future degree. I'm just plain old curious

Thanks,
There's no clear mechanism to measure competitiveness. Application to offer numbers doesn't tell the full story because you can't tell which subjects tend to have large numbers of less well qualified students and therefore low offer numbers compared with applications (likely to be subjects like English, History, Geography etc where there are a wider range of acceptable qualifications). on the other hand, you have subjects that are self-selecting for a very specific but small pool on applicants, ASNAC for example.
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The most competitive (in order on recent years) are Computer science, Architecture, Economics and Engineering. Law is the most competitive arts course.

Across the uni there's 6 applicants per place but for some subjects it's only 2-3 and others like compsci, about 10 per place.
HxTrinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
The most competitive (in order on recent years) are Computer science, Architecture, Economics and Engineering. Law is the most competitive arts course.

Across the uni there's 6 applicants per place but for some subjects it's only 2-3 and others like compsci, about 10 per place.
Damn, So Computer Science is really competitive. I really thought Medicine will be at the top
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HxTrinity)
Damn, So Computer Science is really competitive. I really thought Medicine will be at the top
Nah. Medicine at Cambridge is a bit diff to other med schools in that basically everyone who applies has 3 sciences/maths in their subjects, but I wouldn't say a majority of aspiring medics have that at A-Level, more often two plus a 'contrasting' subject, which makes it much harder to get an offer from Cambridge. You have to be much more tactical with medicine applications because whereas for compsci you'll probs get all your other offers, it's not necessarily the case with medicine. I know a number of medics for whom Cambridge was their only or one of two offers received!
HxTrinity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Nah. Medicine at Cambridge is a bit diff to other med schools in that basically everyone who applies has 3 sciences/maths in their subjects, but I wouldn't say a majority of aspiring medics have that at A-Level, more often two plus a 'contrasting' subject, which makes it much harder to get an offer from Cambridge. You have to be much more tactical with medicine applications because whereas for compsci you'll probs get all your other offers, it's not necessarily the case with medicine. I know a number of medics for whom Cambridge was their only or one of two offers received!
I see, but Computing at the End is very hard to get into as you need to be in the top echelon of students as they're very limited amount of spaces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (106)
13.43%
I'm not sure (36)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (242)
30.67%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.41%
I'm not a current university student (386)
48.92%

Watched Threads