RackAhBohm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I am applying to the University of Oxford this year to read Oriental Studies (Japanese). In choosing a college, does it make more sense to choose one which houses tutorial fellows in my subject? For example, if St. John’s only has fellows in Sanskrit and Hertford has fellows in Japanese, does it make more sense to choose Hertford? Because you are interviewed by tutorials that work at the college you choose, should I choose a college based on if their fellows area of focus is similar to mine?
username5404246
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yes
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe, but the college system is designed such that you will have tutorials with an expert in the field regardless of which college they teach at. In fact, I believe that a lot of oriental studies teaching is done centrally, organised by the department not colleges. So it probably wouldn't make so much difference.

I wouldn't factor who would interview you into the decision. Some people think they can game the system by choosing a college with tutors who share interests. But admissions tutors are not so fickle. It won't give you any advantage whatsoever.
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It won't make much difference, for the reasons liverninthered gives. Pick on the basis of factors that will affect your day-to-day life instead (e.g. do you get accommodation for every year? where is it? do you want a small, close-knit college, or a big one you can hide in? etc.).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads