Can someone explain this assumption to me for integration ?

Watch
seals2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In this markscheme :

I understand the workings but don't get where this assumption comes from. Could someone please explain ? Thanks.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 18.13.39.png
Views: 8
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 18.13.32.png
Size:  75.9 KB
Last edited by seals2001; 4 weeks ago
ItsStarLordMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What's the question and mark scheme?
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by seals2001)
In this markscheme :

I understand the workings but don't get where this assumption comes from. Could someone please explain ? Thanks.

Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 18.13.39.png
Size:  105.8 KB
Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 18.13.32.png
Size:  75.9 KB
You're aware of the difference between distance travelled and displacement?
If the velocity changes sign, they will be different. Velocity changing sign corresponds to having both positive and negative area between the velocity curve and the time axis. To get the total distance, you'd have to treat all areas as positive. Hence the assumption.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
You're aware of the difference between distance travelled and displacement?
If the velocity changes sign, they will be different. Velocity changing sign corresponds to having both positive and negative area between the velocity curve and the time axis. To get the total distance, you'd have to treat all areas as positive. Hence the assumption.
Kind of weird that the solution makes it clear it's at least considering the distinction, but then doesn't consider that -50 = 44 + c would also give a valid solution.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Kind of weird that the solution makes it clear it's at least considering the distinction, but then doesn't consider that -50 = 44 + c would also give a valid solution.
Yeah, as you say, given that the acceleration is positive, a large enough negative initial velocity would still be negative in that time interval. They obviously wanted to rule out the case of a smaller, initial negative velocity so the velocity flips sign in that time interval. It would also have been good not to use "v" for the displacement as well as it may confuse with the use of "v" for velocity on the preceding (and following) line ... Obviously a bit of dynamic variable definition.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.66%
I'm not sure (8)
2.85%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
35.59%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.42%
I'm not a current university student (125)
44.48%

Watched Threads