The Student Room Group

So much anxiety over having really old parents

I'm a 17 year old girl, with a dad who's in his 70s, and I'm so scared that he will die soon or in the next few years. I've always had issues with this ever since I was young. My Mum is quite young whereas my Dad is quite old. COVID is making me really stressed especially, and I'm worried that in between now and next year before I go away to uni something really bad will happen. It's just hit me that my Dad could not be here for much longer. My sisters are 11 and 14 and it makes me scared for them . There just seems to be more and more negative things happening in the world and It feels as though things will never get better. My mental health is really low at the moment and I can't voice this to wither of my parents because it would really upset and stress out my dad, and I don't live with my Mum and don't really have the sort of relationship with her to talk about stuff like this
I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I can empathise though. My dad was 64 when I was born and my mum was 42. My dad died when I was ten and my mum died when I was 29 in 1999 when my son, her only grandchild was two. Personally I am glad I didn't have my son really young, as I worked all over the world and had things to do. But having him when I was 29 was perfect for me. Not too young and not too old. I really hope my son makes me a grandma one day, but at 23 he's quite a "young" 23 in a lot of ways still so I hope he is sensible and he and whichever girl he eventually meets wait.
Reply 2
Original post by markova21
I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling like this. I can empathise though. My dad was 64 when I was born and my mum was 42. My dad died when I was ten and my mum died when I was 29 in 1999 when my son, her only grandchild was two. Personally I am glad I didn't have my son really young, as I worked all over the world and had things to do. But having him when I was 29 was perfect for me. Not too young and not too old. I really hope my son makes me a grandma one day, but at 23 he's quite a "young" 23 in a lot of ways still so I hope he is sensible and he and whichever girl he eventually meets wait.

thank you
You have to remember that everybody will die eventually. Nobody is immortal in this world. Also there is no way to be sure when death is, one can live to over 100 years of age and others die young from disease or accidents. So you need to stop worrying so much about the inevitable and live life!

Quick Reply

Latest