alicesb1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i am in year 11 and we are beginning to do applications for 6th forms. I am not set on what i want to do in the future but i ahve a couple of ideas. A couple of the uni courses i ahve looked at need 2 science subjects. I am thinking of doign Design an dtechnology, chemistry and physics. Would this be reasonable as my relationship with my tecaher has made me not want to do a level maths.
andrei00
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You’ve done great so far on choosing your A-Levels. Chemistry and Physics are both facilitating subjects that open lots of doors into different careers and they are perfect if you are not sure what you want to do after Sixth Form or uni. Choose Design and technology if you enjoy it.

Don’t let a teacher put you off a subject. If you are good at it and you enjoy it then take it.
m.s124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those subjects sound good but
I think you should consider taking a level maths as it will compliment your subjects (especially physics) quite well. It also leaves more options open if you're not 100% sure on doing it.

Of course if you dont like maths you dont have to take it but if the only reason you're not taking it is because of your teacher I think you should reconsider.
You may not have the same maths teacher you have now. Even if you don't like the teacher most a level work is independent study anyway.
alicesb1234
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
thank you.
I am really passionate about dt and one of the career ideas is product design and development so that will help a lot. i do not think doign 4 a levels is the thing for me thio, as ive heard it quite a heavy workload
m.s124
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alicesb1234)
thank you.
I am really passionate about dt and one of the career ideas is product design and development so that will help a lot. i do not think doign 4 a levels is the thing for me thio, as ive heard it quite a heavy workload
Yeah it is... but you can try four out at first and drop one later in the year.
I'm in year 13 and I have mocks next week for maths, fm, physics and econ and after I get my results I will choose whether to drop physics or furthermaths

But you dont need to wait as long as I did to drop your fourth subject. You can even drop it after the first half term of year 12 (if your School allow it) but thats what most people did in my school.
By doing this you can try out al four subjects and then see which ones you think you will be right for you
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by alicesb1234)
thank you.
It seems that you can get onto product design courses with your current choices so not having maths won't be a problem unless you change your career ideas and want to do something like engineering. CoolCavy may wish to comment too.

I guess doing maths too (or doing maths instead of chemistry) would keep more options open but it's up to you. But wouldn't you get a different teacher anyway in sixth form? Maybe the best thing is to put all 4 subjects down for now with a view to dropping one at some point - even as early as after your GCSE results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (102)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.18%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (237)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.48%
I'm not a current university student (376)
49.09%

Watched Threads