The Student Room Group

Foundation Year

Just arrived at uni to find I only have one hour of teaching a week, to do a foundation year which I already know the content, I missed my grades by one mark in two subjects. I feel this isn't going to be worth it, what should I do!? Also due to corona I'll just be stuck in my room all day :frown: this year will cost me ££££ for what! Help
Original post by anonymoussheep1
Just arrived at uni to find I only have one hour of teaching a week, to do a foundation year which I already know the content, I missed my grades by one mark in two subjects. I feel this isn't going to be worth it, what should I do!? Also due to corona I'll just be stuck in my room all day :frown: this year will cost me ££££ for what! Help

Hello, I am sorry to hear that your start at university has not met your expectations. I would suggest you talk to your academic advisor (if you have been allocated one), or to the head of department for the foundation course you are currently studying, about your concerns regarding the course content. It may be that the course material will become more challenging as the year progresses - if this is the case, it would be beneficial for you to find this out! From experience of studying at university, I can tell you that the initial first few weeks do tend to be the easiest and the courses do tend to increase in difficulty throughout the year. It is also worth acknowledging that the way you are assessed and graded at university usually changes significantly, in comparison to assessment methods used for A Levels (or equivalent qualifications); hence studying at university may allow you to develop novel sets of skills that you were not required to utilize so much previously, such as critical thinking skills, research skills, and presentation skills. Thus, it is always worth remembering that there is more to studying a degree than just memorizing a specific content :smile:

Also, if I were in your position, I would ask myself, whether I were absolutely certain I wanted to study the 1st Year entry course that the foundation year was preparing me for? If the answer is yes, then it is probably a worthy investment, and vice versa. Alternatively, you could also consider to withdraw from the university for the time being, and to re-take the subjects for which you did not get the results you wanted, and then re-apply the following year for 1st Year Entry. At this point, you may still qualify for a reimbursement of all the course fees, so this is something you may want to think about before this is no longer an option. Thus, speaking to your university about all your concerns (including the Covid-related ones) as early as possible is most likely to be the best course of action.

I hope it all works out for you :smile: Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)
Original post by University of Sussex Official Reps
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your start at university has not met your expectations. I would suggest you talk to your academic advisor (if you have been allocated one), or to the head of department for the foundation course you are currently studying, about your concerns regarding the course content. It may be that the course material will become more challenging as the year progresses - if this is the case, it would be beneficial for you to find this out! From experience of studying at university, I can tell you that the initial first few weeks do tend to be the easiest and the courses do tend to increase in difficulty throughout the year. It is also worth acknowledging that the way you are assessed and graded at university usually changes significantly, in comparison to assessment methods used for A Levels (or equivalent qualifications); hence studying at university may allow you to develop novel sets of skills that you were not required to utilize so much previously, such as critical thinking skills, research skills, and presentation skills. Thus, it is always worth remembering that there is more to studying a degree than just memorizing a specific content :smile:

Also, if I were in your position, I would ask myself, whether I were absolutely certain I wanted to study the 1st Year entry course that the foundation year was preparing me for? If the answer is yes, then it is probably a worthy investment, and vice versa. Alternatively, you could also consider to withdraw from the university for the time being, and to re-take the subjects for which you did not get the results you wanted, and then re-apply the following year for 1st Year Entry. At this point, you may still qualify for a reimbursement of all the course fees, so this is something you may want to think about before this is no longer an option. Thus, speaking to your university about all your concerns (including the Covid-related ones) as early as possible is most likely to be the best course of action.

I hope it all works out for you :smile: Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student (MSCI) with a Year Abroad)

Thank you SO much. I really appreciate you reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending