Girls, I'm not going to complain about you wanting a guy taller than you, but...

Watch
blackugo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I think it's accurate for the vast majority of women, as lets face it, very very few women build significant amounts of muscle.

can be less accurate for men though due to the fact some are lifters..
The charts are different for men and women anyway so I don't think that makes a difference.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it's accurate for the vast majority of women, as lets face it, very very few women build significant amounts of muscle.

can be less accurate for men though due to the fact some are lifters..
Not true at all. Just because women don’t usually build as much muscle as men so it’s not usually as visible, it does not mean that it wouldn’t warp the results. It definitely would. And even if it didn’t, it doesn’t take into account any other factors such as bone mass and it also doesn’t have any differentiation for men and women
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Lol what?
Well, they said fat people aren't always "unhealthy". Where is the exact point you place an "overweight person" being as being unhealthy? Obviously there is a point where you can clearly tell someone is unhealthy. Peoples ideas of healthy tend to vary as well.
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by blackugo)
Well, they said fat people aren't always "unhealthy". Where is the exact point you place an "overweight person" being as being unhealthy? Obviously there is a point where you can clearly tell someone is unhealthy. Peoples ideas of healthy tend to vary as well.
I never said specifically overweight. A lot of people are considered fat before they reach the title of overweight and overweight is pretty much always unhealthy. Some people are naturally just bigger without being overweight, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are unhealthy
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
5'4 and 58.5 kg
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Not true at all. Just because women don’t usually build as much muscle as men so it’s not usually as visible, it does not mean that it wouldn’t warp the results. It definitely would. And even if it didn’t, it doesn’t take into account any other factors such as bone mass and it also doesn’t have any differentiation for men and women
well it would likely warp the results only a tiny bit...

you're very unlikely to see a BMI 27 woman who isn't fat .... whereas for a guy you see that basically each time you enter the gym
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa Chuah)
5'4 and 58.5 kg
I thought americans use lbs?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
If you're overweight, you're unhealthy. It's as simple as that. If you're muscly and your BMI is over 25, then exercise is obviously taken into account, but if there's no exercise and you're overweight... i.e fat... you're unhealthy.
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I thought americans use lbs?
yeah we do lol. i just converted it for everyone since majority of the people are in the uk lol.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa Chuah)
yeah we do lol. i just converted it for everyone since majority of the people are in the uk lol.
you should have converted it to stones

I don't know what is wrong with all these UK people using kgs ... j/k
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I never said specifically overweight. A lot of people are considered fat before they reach the title of overweight and overweight is pretty much always unhealthy. Some people are naturally just bigger without being overweight, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are unhealthy
Yeah, but there is no specific point where you can determine someone is unhealthy based on their weight alone is the point I am making.
Googles definition of healthy is: 'in a good physical or mental condition; in good health.'
That sounds pretty arbitrary to me. One person may believe they are in good physical or mental condition and another might not. Some people are not "healthy" despite their BMI being a "healthy weight". Good is a subjective term.
Anonymous #8
Report 3 months ago
mainly only fat girls are going to feel uncomfortable with that question
I myself feel uncomfortable about being asked about my weight. I would rather not say because I know there are people who would say things that would make me feel worst.
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, but there is no specific point where you can determine someone is unhealthy based on their weight alone is the point I am making.
Googles definition of healthy is: 'in a good physical or mental condition; in good health.'
That sounds pretty arbitrary to me. One person may believe they are in good physical or mental condition and another might not. Some people are not "healthy" despite their BMI being a "healthy weight". Good is a subjective term.
Oh that’s exactly what I was saying the first time :lol:
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you're overweight, you're unhealthy. It's as simple as that. If you're muscly and your BMI is over 25, then exercise is obviously taken into account, but if there's no exercise and you're overweight... i.e fat... you're unhealthy.
It is really not that simple. It gives a rough gave of how healthy you are but that is it. I agree that it is a double standard however being overweight isn't as simple as plugging numbers into a formula that was made 200 years ago.
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
you should have converted it to stones

I don't know what is wrong with all these UK people using kgs ... j/k
I don’t even understand stones very well to be honest :teehee:
Last edited by Chopinnocturne31; 3 months ago
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don’t even understand stones very well to be honest :teehee:
I've always found it very simple.

I find myself keep having to convert weights from kgs or lbs to stones when people post them online
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

I find myself keep having to convert weights from kgs or lbs to stones when people post them online
I guess it depends on how you have grown up. I’m a lot younger than you so I have always used kg. I always have to convert stones or lbs to kg to be able to visualise something lol
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
and why is everyone stating their weight in kilograms?

whatever happened to stones?

did i miss a memo or something?
Stones seems archaic
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Just switch to kg. For science.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Just switch to kg. For science.
I was brought up on stones and I'm not switching.

londonmyst I don't think is switching either.

Stones 4 lyfe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed