Local fool doesn't know what they want in life

Watch
bog creature
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello you beautiful people,I have come here looking for advice. So basically, I don't know what choices I should make for my a levels (currently doing my gcses) , since I'm an indecisive moron. I want to take math and physics or one of the sciences, but I'm also really passionate about art and the humanities.I want to find a way to have a broader choice when it comes to university than I normally would if I just stuck to STEM or art. Should I chose the subjects I enjoy or should I choose subjects that'll provide a comfortable life for me? I get a lot of conflicting opinions, like my mum tells me to choose money over enjoyment, but others say i should "follow my heart" and whatnot. (the choices I'm considering now are maths physics and art-thoughts on that?) so if anyone has anything helpful relating to this topic, it'd be much appreciated if you could help out ^~^
maja w
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hey! i'm in a very similar spot and trying to decide whether to do three or four a levels. in regards to your question, do you know if you definitely want to go to university, or which one? the Russel group has a list of facilitating subjects, which includes maths and physics. if you're really passionate about art, I think doing it alongside 2 stem subjects gives you really great prospects, but you might want to consider doing an essay based subject like English lit or history( if you like humanities) that could also be really useful in keeping your options open. hope that helped!
crazzzzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bog creature)
Hello you beautiful people,I have come here looking for advice. So basically, I don't know what choices I should make for my a levels (currently doing my gcses) , since I'm an indecisive moron. I want to take math and physics or one of the sciences, but I'm also really passionate about art and the humanities.I want to find a way to have a broader choice when it comes to university than I normally would if I just stuck to STEM or art. Should I chose the subjects I enjoy or should I choose subjects that'll provide a comfortable life for me? I get a lot of conflicting opinions, like my mum tells me to choose money over enjoyment, but others say i should "follow my heart" and whatnot. (the choices I'm considering now are maths physics and art-thoughts on that?) so if anyone has anything helpful relating to this topic, it'd be much appreciated if you could help out ^~^
I think doing maths, physics (or any science) and art(or humanities) would be totally fine! Because most unis require only 2 stem a-levels as compulsory for stem courses (although I would recommend double checking the specific uni requirements in case it's different), and allow your third subject to be something else. This would help in your case because it would mean you would still have options between stem and art/humanities for uni- and you'd have quite a bit of time during the 2 a-level years to decide as well. Also I think choosing at least one subject that you enjoy for a-levels is quite important because a-levels tend to be significantly harder than gcse's, and if you don't like a subject, you may struggle a bit (but this is pretty subjective as some are able to push through despite their hatred for a subject). Also research the future prospects for art/humanities/stem degrees so you have an understanding of the careers you can do and whatnot.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
2 science a levels and an art or humanity would be a good mix and keep doors open. you could always build a portfolio for art alongside your a-levels though, though it may be difficult to do whilst doing a-levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (189)
29.3%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.43%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.99%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.37%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.91%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.89%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.26%

Watched Threads