Not happy how I was treated

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Received an attendance letter last week saying I could potentially be withdrawn from the course if my attendance doesn’t improve. I got scared, I was panicking that night in bed I couldn’t sleep all night, I was sweating and the way I was treated at college wasn’t good. I then got to college the next morning, I asked the ta in the lesson if I could speak to the boss of my course telling her about this letter who didn’t take me seriously and basically laughed in my face. I went to speak to my tutor who gave me attitude even after explaining my situation she gave me attitude, I explained that I might have to miss college for my driving test which I booked but that is the only date I can near but I need to skip college for that, my tutor said I’m going to have rebook my test. I went to my next lesson and the teaching assistant was different in there, she just asked me why I wasn’t in the day before the weekend and I explained we left a message on another staff members answer phone which she said she didn’t get. So I was panicking all night and still feeling anxious all day at college. The reason why I have been not going in is because I’m demotivated, if I was motivated I would do it but I’m not motivated with college because it’s just not a course I want to do. I got the letter because they were saying my attendance last year I got bad attendance and this year I have so I could get withdrawn from the but they should look at why I haven’t been coming in then also we have also attempted to phoned in everytime that I have been absent. I have not been happy with how I got treated and have been thinking would it be better on focusing on what I love instead of college which has put me through this. I was anxious all night, stressing, worrying and sweating about this then I get to college and get treated like this, I don’t think it’s right.
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, you're right, they really should cater to your scheduling needs.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
Yeah, you're right, they really should cater to your scheduling needs.
I know I think I should just quit myself to be honest but I just don’t know what I will be doing
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know I think I should just quit myself to be honest but I just don’t know what I will be doing
Your post doesn't contain a problem, attend your lessons and you won't get any letters prompting a breakdown of profuse sweat.
Anonymous #1
Your post doesn't contain a problem, attend your lessons and you won't get any letters prompting a breakdown of profuse sweat.
I know but I have a driving test which is coming up during (not going to say when) and the teacher was just making me chose between that or college and basically saying I can get get kicked out but do the test or lose the test but have college. There a high demand for tests atm so I’m not going if I cancel for college I’ll be waiting along time for a test.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To be fair colleges will have rules about attendance and they deal with them as they see fit-if you don’t have a reasonable excuse for your absences then they are well within their rights to withdraw you from the course (driving tests are not reasonable excuses btw)
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know but I have a driving test which is coming up during (not going to say when) and the teacher was just making me chose between that or college and basically saying I can get get kicked out but do the test or lose the test but have college. There a high demand for tests atm so I’m not going if I cancel for college I’ll be waiting along time for a test.
Do I need to tell you that college is more important than a driving test you can reschedule?
Anonymous #1
Do I need to tell you that college is more important than a driving test you can reschedule?
It might be but is college more important than my mental health
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might be but is college more important than my mental health
Oh, you've got mental health issues because you've got 'motivation issues'.

It all sounds very delicate, don't strain yourself.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
To be fair colleges will have rules about attendance and they deal with them as they see fit-if you don’t have a reasonable excuse for your absences then they are well within their rights to withdraw you from the course (driving tests are not reasonable excuses btw)
I know but, I can improve my attendance then go for my test, I think they should be more reasonable considering they ha students who are likely to be learning to drive and having driving tests
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know but, I can improve my attendance then go for my test, I think they should be more reasonable considering they ha students who are likely to be learning to drive and having driving tests
And I think the fact that you know when you have class and can therefore book time when you don’t have class is a much better option than booking one when you do especially if you’re already on a warning for attendance.
Why should they have be “more reasonable” for something that doesn’t need to happen?
Anonymous #1
Oh, you've got mental health issues because you've got 'motivation issues'.

It all sounds very delicate, don't strain yourself.
College has put me through this, I understand and I’m going to improve my attendance but just need to take 1 day off for my test then I’ll be back, that should be reasonable considering they have loads of students who are potentially doing driving tests
snoopydoopz
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Received an attendance letter last week saying I could potentially be withdrawn from the course if my attendance doesn’t improve. I got scared, I was panicking that night in bed I couldn’t sleep all night, I was sweating and the way I was treated at college wasn’t good. I then got to college the next morning, I asked the ta in the lesson if I could speak to the boss of my course telling her about this letter who didn’t take me seriously and basically laughed in my face. I went to speak to my tutor who gave me attitude even after explaining my situation she gave me attitude, I explained that I might have to miss college for my driving test which I booked but that is the only date I can near but I need to skip college for that, my tutor said I’m going to have rebook my test. I went to my next lesson and the teaching assistant was different in there, she just asked me why I wasn’t in the day before the weekend and I explained we left a message on another staff members answer phone which she said she didn’t get. So I was panicking all night and still feeling anxious all day at college. The reason why I have been not going in is because I’m demotivated, if I was motivated I would do it but I’m not motivated with college because it’s just not a course I want to do. I got the letter because they were saying my attendance last year I got bad attendance and this year I have so I could get withdrawn from the but they should look at why I haven’t been coming in then also we have also attempted to phoned in everytime that I have been absent. I have not been happy with how I got treated and have been thinking would it be better on focusing on what I love instead of college which has put me through this. I was anxious all night, stressing, worrying and sweating about this then I get to college and get treated like this, I don’t think it’s right.
ok this is easy, you have been stressed, anxious and feeling depressed. go to your GP and tell them when it started (yes it did!). then get a doc letter to say why absence was low (for reasons above) and then cant do **** as its discrimination. end. - but do try to improve attendance for learning sake, its bloody online now...these letters are common but carry little weight in law if you have real reasons.. and even then, its very rare unless you being completey ignorant. its to scare you - because kids nowadays as we can see from your response dont do anything till they scared lol - jokes.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by snoopydoopz)
ok this is easy, you have been stressed, anxious and feeling depressed. go to your GP and tell them when it started (yes it did!). then get a doc letter to say why absence was low (for reasons above) and then cant do **** as its discrimination. end. - but do try to improve attendance for learning sake, its bloody online now...these letters are common but carry little weight in law if you have real reasons.. and even then, its very rare unless you being completey ignorant. its to scare you - because kids nowadays as we can see from your response dont do anything till they scared lol - jokes.
How can this suddenly end up as discrimination? I honestly don't understand people like you. He missed lessons on purpose for a stupid driving lesson?

+ He missed lessons because he wasn't "motivated".
Last edited by Xarao; 1 month ago
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
College has put me through this, I understand and I’m going to improve my attendance but just need to take 1 day off for my test then I’ll be back, that should be reasonable considering they have loads of students who are potentially doing driving tests
No, it's not reasonable because they are the college and they dictate when you do and do not attend class, not the other way around.

Maybe if you hadn't missed out on all the other classes you might be able to miss out on this one without 'being treated so wrongly'.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xarao)
How did this suddenly become discrimination? I honestly don't understand people like you.
Cause people use the magic word “depression” and use it as a get out of jail free card to behave however they like making it worse for those who have real issues.

However he didn’t miss class for a driving test (yet) he missed classes as he didn’t like the course and felt demotivated so got a letter telling him he had to improve his attendance or else they would withdraw him from the course. And after that letter he still wants to miss class for a driving test.
Last edited by GabiAbi84; 1 month ago
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by snoopydoopz)
What in God's green earth is this load of excrement.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cause people use the magic word “depression” and use it as a get out of jail free card to behave however they like making it worse for those who have real issues.
I agree. Those people disgust me completely, just like OP trying to act like one.
Anonymous #1
And I think the fact that you know when you have class and can therefore book time when you don’t have class is a much better option than booking one when you do especially if you’re already on a warning for attendance.
Why should they have be “more reasonable” for something that doesn’t need to happen?
I booked it because I have been waiting for months, that’s the earliest date plus Im sure asked a ta a few weeks ago and she said it’s fine if I take day off for test and a few off students do it. It does need to happen, I’m a 19 year old, I’m going to need driving for when I grow up even right now me not driving is a big struggle, it’s a long story
Anonymous #1
I don’t know why everyone is going at me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.48%
I'm not sure (56)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (359)
29.38%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (595)
48.69%

Watched Threads