The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
In what way is it off label prescribing, it is, after all, an anti anxiety medication?
Indeed, its not exactly first line in their treatment though.

It means they are using it for something it is not licensed to do. Its allowed, but the doctor is opening themselves up to major liability problems if the patient complains or sues (and funding problems in some cases). And a highly addictive medication that is well known for abuse, and essentially not used in this country for any indication let alone an off license one.... yeah no thanks.
Reply 81
Original post by nexttime
It means they are using it for something it is not licensed to do. Its allowed, but the doctor is opening themselves up to major liability problems if the patient complains or sues (and funding problems in some cases). And a highly addictive medication that is well known for abuse, and essentially not used in this country for any indication let alone an off license one.... yeah no thanks.

Can't say i was ever aware of Klonopin being considered next to unusable in the UK? Somewhat rare compared to some of its cousins but the way you've phrased it makes it sound worse than Oxycontin (or some such)?!
Better hope OP doesn't decide he wants seroquel as Eminem mentions it. :no:
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, it's probably not a good idea then.. they make it so hard to focus on stuff. i used to be on benzos at work every day too, thinking that mixing them with red bulls would help but nope. and yeah same here propranolol doesn't do **** for me. it only helps for the physical symptoms of anxiety.
and honestly, if your issues are long term - stick to diazepam. xanax will make your anxiety worse in the long run because of it's half short life. diazepam wears off much more gradually so you don't really feel it as much. maybe you should consider ssris? sometimes they're also prescribed for anxiety issues, not just depression. personally, i can't take antidepressants but might be work looking into it? at least they're not addictive.
thanks, you too

does propranolol get rid of all physical symptoms, such as a tight throat which may make it hard to speak?

thanks
Original post by Sabertooth
Better hope OP doesn't decide he wants seroquel as Eminem mentions it. :no:

Would Dr Dre be able to prescribe me this, as he is a doctor?
Original post by Anonymous
Would Dr Dre be able to prescribe me this, as he is a doctor?

Sure. :smile: It'd certainly solve your anxiety problems when you're sleeping 18 hours a day and eating the other 6.
Reply 86
does propranolol get rid of all physical symptoms, such as a tight throat which may make it hard to speak?

thanks

i mean it probably depends on the severity of your symptoms. but it definitely slows down your heart rate and blood pressure, helps reduce any shaking etc. but yeah it does nothing for the mental aspect of your anxiety.
Original post by Napp
Can't say i was ever aware of Klonopin being considered next to unusable in the UK? Somewhat rare compared to some of its cousins but the way you've phrased it makes it sound worse than Oxycontin (or some such)?!

Sorry thought we were still talking about xanax. Clonazepam is used on occasion in the UK, mainly for dying patients I think. There may be some regional variation in that though. Clearly, it is still a benzo.

Its hard to say if its 'worse' or 'better' than Oxycontin. They're both very addictive and very harmful when abused.
Sorry thought we were still talking about xanax. Clonazepam is used on occasion in the UK, mainly for dying patients I think. There may be some regional variation in that though. Clearly, it is still a benzo.

Its hard to say if its 'worse' or 'better' than Oxycontin. They're both very addictive and very harmful when abused.

Okay so basically doctors in the UK don't like to prescribe benzos because if the patient becomes addicted, they can sue the doctor? That is understandable, but a sh*tty thing to do if you're a patient tbf. If I got xanax from a psychiatrist and became addicted/bad side effects, I would only blame myself because it is my choice and responsibility at the end of the day.
I am just wondering why Xanax is illegal in the UK and I am unable to get hold of it. A lot of my favourite music artists sing/rap about taking xanax to help their anxiety, and it makes me wish I could get hold of some so I could just get some relief.

If the doctors in the UK can't prescribe it to me, would I be able to travel abroad to get a doctor there to prescribe it to me and then bring it back home, or would the British border police confiscate it on my return?

I don't understand why it is not available in the UK when it is commonly prescribed in the USA. Please enlighten me.

take codeine instead, u can get it prescribed
Okay so basically doctors in the UK don't like to prescribe benzos because if the patient becomes addicted, they can sue the doctor? That is understandable, but a sh*tty thing to do if you're a patient tbf. If I got xanax from a psychiatrist and became addicted/bad side effects, I would only blame myself because it is my choice and responsibility at the end of the day.

Did you quote the wrong person? I didn't say anything like that...
I am just wondering why Xanax is illegal in the UK and I am unable to get hold of it. A lot of my favourite music artists sing/rap about taking xanax to help their anxiety, and it makes me wish I could get hold of some so I could just get some relief.

If the doctors in the UK can't prescribe it to me, would I be able to travel abroad to get a doctor there to prescribe it to me and then bring it back home, or would the British border police confiscate it on my return?

I don't understand why it is not available in the UK when it is commonly prescribed in the USA. Please enlighten me.

It's addictive and can lose effect over time causing people to take more of it
think best to drop this this thread - seems mods dont want anyone talking about meds..
plenty of other sites to go on.. and potential of being judged here..
two posts of mine have been removed, and because Xanax is dangerous. dont do it kids. :P
think
If your struggling to sleep, it's worth talking to your pharmacist about buying a box of promethazine. They are often reluctant to give it out, however it is an over the counter drug (only available behind the counter at pharmacy's though).

I've taken lorazipam before, and for me it has the same effect as 2mg. Don't remember it been as strong as .5 clonazipam though.
It's used in the UK as an anticonvulsant.

It isn't.

I have seen many people on clonazepam. All old people who have been on it for years though. Quite often they are also on oxycontin lol
Okay so basically doctors in the UK don't like to prescribe benzos because if the patient becomes addicted, they can sue the doctor?

No. Benzos have many negative long term consequence, including effects on cognition (studies have shown an increased risk of dementia in people taking benzos) and a worsening in psychiatric symptoms. So addiction and physical dependence are part of the problem but not the whole story. I doubt risk of being sued is high up on the list of reasons doctors don't want to prescribe them.
Reply 95
Nah I actually happy with my how my life is right now. It's when I am alone at night that my mind starts playing up. Or when I have a day off work. I can't exactly meet up with friends or do a sociable hobby during this pandemic can I? :lol: I can't even travel to Monaco.

sounds like all of us and you’ve just imagined a dream that Xanax can fix it. i guarantee you that taking Xanax won’t fix your problem with meeting up with friends or travelling overseas. so what are you trying to fix?
It isn't.

I have seen many people on clonazepam. All old people who have been on it for years though. Quite often they are also on oxycontin lol

No. Benzos have many negative long term consequence, including effects on cognition (studies have shown an increased risk of dementia in people taking benzos) and a worsening in psychiatric symptoms. So addiction and physical dependence are part of the problem but not the whole story. I doubt risk of being sued is high up on the list of reasons doctors don't want to prescribe them.

check your BNF
It isn't.

In the UK? Both on clonazepam and oxycontin? Are we talking in a palliative care setting? I have worked in over 200 pharmacies, and oxycontin is used as little as possible in the UK, mainly due to cost. It is much more expensive than say MST, or Zomorph caps, (both morphine). I think it would be better on subjects like this to reply to a thread individually so as not to confuse laymen on pharmaceutical/ medical issues.

I work in community pharmacy, and am responding as though the OP was not an inpatient. Please state if you are UK based and a hospital pharmacist. That may be much different prescribing, but we would confuse the OP into thinking it is available in the sense of Klonopin in the USA, for anxiety, when it isn't. The only other community based indication is panic attacks, which is an unlicensed use. The BNF site/app is free to browse.
Have never seen this prescribed in the UK

It is. Just not very often.
Are you a young Dr/pharmacist ?
It was promoted quite often in the 90s as an alternative to the benzodiazepines, but then died out with all the emphasis on benzo addiction and got swept up into that category of drugs to limit prescribing on, due to possible addiction potential, although the medical literature has varying views on addiction to buspirone.
In the UK? Both on clonazepam and oxycontin? Are we talking in a palliative care setting? I have worked in over 200 pharmacies, and oxycontin is used as little as possible in the UK, mainly due to cost. It is much more expensive than say MST, or Zomorph caps, (both morphine). I think it would be better on subjects like this to reply to a thread individually so as not to confuse laymen on pharmaceutical/ medical issues.

I work in community pharmacy, and am responding as though the OP was not an inpatient. Please state if you are UK based and a hospital pharmacist. That may be much different prescribing, but we would confuse the OP into thinking it is available in the sense of Klonopin in the USA, for anxiety, when it isn't. The only other community based indication is panic attacks, which is an unlicensed use. The BNF site/app is free to browse.

I am bases in the UK and have worked both in the community and in hospitals. We use oxycodone a lot in older people (standard drug for anyone over 70). And yes, just yesterday I saw someone who was on both clonazepam and oxycodone; not in a palliative setting.

Latest