iqua
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you have a chance of getting into Oxford to do law if your GCSEs are 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5 but your predicted A-Levels are A*, A, A?
Espançais
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nobody on here can say either way whether or not you'd get in with those grades. However, to be brutally honest, I'd strongly suspect not. If you're desperate to go, you might have a better chance applying post A level maybe?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iqua)
Do you have a chance of getting into Oxford to do law if your GCSEs are 8, 7, 7, 7, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5 but your predicted A-Levels are A*, A, A?
Which degree? An application post results might be more successful ...
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Which degree? An application post results might be more successful ...
Law, it's in the OP
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Espançais)
Law, it's in the OP
Sorry - I missed it - your GCSEs are way below what's needed for that competitive course.
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford Mum
Espançais
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry - I missed it - your GCSEs are way below what's needed for that competitive course.
Agreed. I know a couple of people who applied with similar or slightly higher and got rejected pre-interview - it's not that they can prove you wouldn't necessarily give a good interview, more that the competition is so so high for law that they have to select somehow to even start interviewing
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iqua)
No - not for law - apply after you have your A level grades.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Espançais)
Agreed. I know a couple of people who applied with similar or slightly higher and got rejected pre-interview - it's not that they can prove you wouldn't necessarily give a good interview, more that the competition is so so high for law that they have to select somehow to even start interviewing
Apologies - I meant 'theirs' not yours
iqua
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
No - not for law - apply after you have your A level grades.
So my best chance of getting in would be to take a gap year first right?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iqua)
So my best chance of getting in would be to take a gap year first right?
What does your school think? Apply by all means but if your heart is set of Oxford I don't think you will get an interview.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by iqua)
I have just finished replying to a PM from someone else who wants to apply for Oxford Law. They have 8 or 9 8/9s at GCSE already, and are expecting A*A*A for their A levels. They have work experience (goodness knows how) and have read widely round their subject. This is the competition you are facing.

I had to tell them that this is an excellent start, but they also need to ace the LNAT and the interview, which will be no walk in the park, believe me. I also believe that a lot comes down to natural talent and being great at logic.

I am really sorry, but I don't think you would stand much of a chance if you applied, but obviously it is up to you. Even if you did get A*A A for A level (which is a massive jump) , you would still need to negotiate all the other hurdles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads