Can I join the army with a criminal record

Watch
Potter420
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello guys,
I'm 25 and want to join the army but worried my criminal record will prevent me from being accepted,

I only have 2 charges one was for criminal damage in 2010 and the more serious one was a Section 20 GBH in 2016.
I believe both of these charges are now spent

Would this be something that would prevent me from being accepted?
From what I have read the army decide on a case by case basis but the GBH charge was kinda serious, I was on remand for 6 months but my sentence was not an imprisonment but rather community service and probation

Thanks for taking the time to read and will greatly appreciate any advice given
Thanks
AscendingWings
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Potter420)
Hello guys,
I'm 25 and want to join the army but worried my criminal record will prevent me from being accepted,

I only have 2 charges one was for criminal damage in 2010 and the more serious one was a Section 20 GBH in 2016.
I believe both of these charges are now spent

Would this be something that would prevent me from being accepted?
From what I have read the army decide on a case by case basis but the GBH charge was kinda serious, I was on remand for 6 months but my sentence was not an imprisonment but rather community service and probation

Thanks for taking the time to read and will greatly appreciate any advice given
Thanks
As you say, case by case. Not something I can help with myself as I've not seen it. But...
Here is my suggestion, submit an application and find out. You will be required to say if you have any criminal convictions and state them on your application. If as you say they're spent, they will make a decision on your case. But go ahead with an application, only way to find out is to try. Speak with your local AFCO, they may be able to provide a better answer. There are a few posts with your exact question on here too, have a read about but just beware some information may be a bit outdated.
Last edited by AscendingWings; 4 weeks ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is looked at on a case-by-case basis because the Forces don't just consider whether a conviction is spent, they also consider the type, eg, serious assault, crimes of a sexual nature, even repeat driving offences if someone is applying for a role involving driving. Yes, the only way to find out if they'll accept you is to make an application.
Ikaruss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi mate, some good advice from AW and Surnia (former recruiter).

Interestingly, there was a recent article in the Daily Telegraph highlighting the issue of convicts in the Army and suggesting that policy on recruitment should be relaxed. The Sgt who is the subject of the article, served half of a 16 month sentence for possession (class A) with intent to supply. That's a pretty serious charge, so if he can be accepted and turn his life around, there's hope for lots of people who have made mistakes. You just have to read the plethora of books by SAS / SBS 'celebrities ' to understand they all had troublesome early years, but were diverted from a life of crime by being accepted into the forces.

Good luck buddy.
Potter420
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the replies everyone it's much appreciated,

I've just made an application so fingers crossed it all goes well, and hopefully they see I was young and dumb at the time and was literally one off offenses

The next issue I have is running, but I'm working on that lol

Thanks again guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.26%
I'm not sure (25)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (178)
31.73%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.14%
I'm not a current university student (266)
47.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise