BuenaRenna
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I’ve been researching about the LGBT scene of universities I’m applying to, but many seem to be from over a decade ago. I was wondering how is LGBT life at Cambridge University? Is there a society/campaign? How is the gay nightlife?
Theloniouss
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Here are all the societies: https://www.societies.cam.ac.uk/

Couldn't spot any LGBT societies, but I don't know exactly what it would be called if there is one.
Interea
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.lgbt.cusu.cam.ac.uk/ seems most like what you're looking for Not sure about anything else since I'm only applying this year myself, but it'll be good to hear what other people have to suggest.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Cambridge has an LGBT+ campaign as part of the Students' Union (CUSU LGBT - or at least it used to be!) and most Colleges will also have an LGBT+ rep on their JCR (College committee of student reps). While there's no gay club in Cambridge, there is a gay night at one of the clubs every week called Glitterbomb. It may well change its name though - it's been through many iterations while I've been in Cambridge!

There are quite a few LGBT people in Cambridge and the support is, on the whole, good.
R T
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure if its anecdotal but I feel like the proportion of LGBT+ at Cambridge is much higher than whatever the universal average is. It's something I definitely noticed as a student (which is neither good nor bad, it just is what it is and I found the difference interesting) and heard a lot of my friends say too. The student body is very progressive/ liberal and left wing so I only ever saw support/ nonchalance.

Either people are more comfortable and feel more at ease with coming out, or there is some kind of soft correlation going on. I suspect it's probably both.

I don't think Cambridge is special in its (good) treatment/ attitude. You will probably find a similar level of support at a lot of top 10 Universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.67%
I'm not sure (5)
2.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (70)
35.35%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.52%
I'm not a current university student (87)
43.94%

Watched Threads