Why Didn't I Get Into UCL? What Can I Do to Succeed?

Watch
SolidSlish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I applied to do the Digital Media: Production MA at University College London but Didn't Get In, So I want to know what I need to do to Succeed next Time.

I have a First Class BA (Hons) in Games Design and I've actually taught Digital and Creative Media Production at an FE and HE level at a few educational institutions.

I also have a DDD in BTEC Level 3: Creative Media Production. In terms of GCSEs, I moved here during the final High School year and just passed English and Maths.

I applied for the Course during Early May and got all of My References in around May 20th. I actually got a response from UCL regarding my Application in Late August (20th), despite the fact that I was supposed to get a response by Early August (8th). I didn't get in obviously, but when I enquired, but they didn't really give me a direct answer.

Did I fail because I applied too late? Did I fail because my GCSEs weren't good enough? The minimum requirement for a degree was a 2:1 and I had a 1.

What should I do when reapplying?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SolidSlish)
So I applied to do the Digital Media: Production MA at University College London but Didn't Get In, So I want to know what I need to do to Succeed next Time.

I have a First Class BA (Hons) in Games Design and I've actually taught Digital and Creative Media Production at an FE and HE level at a few educational institutions.

I also have a DDD in BTEC Level 3: Creative Media Production. In terms of GCSEs, I moved here during the final High School year and just passed English and Maths.

I applied for the Course during Early May and got all of My References in around May 20th. I actually got a response from UCL regarding my Application in Late August (20th), despite the fact that I was supposed to get a response by Early August (8th). I didn't get in obviously, but when I enquired, but they didn't really give me a direct answer.

Did I fail because I applied too late? Did I fail because my GCSEs weren't good enough? The minimum requirement for a degree was a 2:1 and I had a 1.

You need to ask UCL for more detailed feedback and say that you appear to meet the entry criteria. Maybe they did not consider Games Design to be a relevant first degree since the examples they give are "media studies, cultural studies, art, education, digital media, interactive media, English".

But also - don't put all your eggs in one basket - apply somewhere else too
tk40xxD
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wait you have a First in Game Design and you want to do ANOTHER degree?

Why? Get into work. Go work. Go work in media if you want to. Just start doing it.
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Why are you applying for a MA? Experience is more important and relevant experience will be better than getting a MA. What are you hoping for the MA to do for you, career wise? Go get work experience in or around that career objective. Opportunities will pop up as you gain experience and prove yourself. You will still be at the starting blocks after a MA. 1 year relevant experience trumps a MA.
SolidSlish
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, Thanks for the Responses.

I want to go to UCL because its a high ranking university and therefore much more impressive for my CV.

No other prestigious university (one near UCL's top 10 world ranking) is offering a course that I want to do. I took Games Design at Brunel.

I also want a masters degree in a more broad subject like Media Production because Games Design is very limiting and specific.

I am currently working full time as an FE lecturer in ICT and Creative Media Industries and was planning to apply for the UCL Masters course next year.
Last edited by SolidSlish; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It might well be your GCSE results but only UCL can tell you that. They usually require higher grades at GCSE Maths and dont budge from that. It could also be the subject you have taken. Only they can tell you but my immediate suspicion will be your Maths GCSE grade
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I want to go to UCL because its a high ranking university and therefore much more impressive for my CV.

No other prestigious university (one near UCL's top 10 world ranking) is offering a course that I want to do. I took Games Design at Brunel.

I also want a masters degree in a more broad subject like Media Production because Games Design is very limiting and specific.

I am currently working full time as an FE lecturer in ICT and Creative Media Industries and was planning to apply for the UCL Masters course next year.
Nothing beats work experience, especially for employment opportunities.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

The video games sector, and most "new media", don't care about things like university "prestige", they are more interested in your experience in the industry and what titles/projects you have worked on (often preferring to see people who have worked on at least some projects through the full lifecycle of the project). Having the UCL tag on your CV isn't going to make any difference in those sectors.

Even outside of those media/production focused sectors, university prestige is fairly unimportant to recruiters compared to work experience. Unless you want to go into investment banking it really doesn't matter where you did your degree, just as long as you have one with a good classification which ticks that box in the recruiters form (which you do).
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The video games sector, and most "new media", don't care about things like university "prestige", they are more interested in your experience in the industry and what titles/projects you have worked on (often preferring to see people who have worked on at least some projects through the full lifecycle of the project). Having the UCL tag on your CV isn't going to make any difference in those sectors.

Even outside of those media/production focused sectors, university prestige is fairly unimportant to recruiters compared to work experience. Unless you want to go into investment banking it really doesn't matter where you did your degree, just as long as you have one with a good classification which ticks that box in the recruiters form (which you do).
Agree with you mate. Media production is one of those industries where work experience beats theory. May be better to do some short online courses if they help TS to get into the industry. Or, even some experience working with college productions may be more useful.
beyond21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thought a lot of students especially oversea defer their entry this year. So next year might be a lot harder if you want to get in as they might be prioritising oversea students over UK , who knows. https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...nts-plan-defer
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

They likely do not care about everything you got before uni.

So its likely was your undergrad good enough or was the course full and you applied too late.

Only they can tell you, you can email admissions and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.47%
I'm not sure (56)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (359)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (596)
48.73%

Watched Threads