Huma sawanz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi! I am a gp and my other half was doing cmt until a year ago. Due to awful work life balance we decided he should resign which he did. He was nearly a CT2. Now he is doing gp training but does not seem to like it and keeps thinking about CMT and hospital medicine. I kinda feel guilty the he might have made the decision about resigning coz i kept moaning about him not having any time for me and our little one.
Does anyone know if one can reapply after resigning from CMT? TIA
becausethenight
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I've moved this into the Medicine forum where you're more likely to get an answer.

ecolier this seems like the sort of thing you might know? Thanks
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is CMT really much of a worse work-life balance than a GPST? Surely GPST can involve medicine/paeds/A+E rotas? Although I guess the training programme is much shorter for GP compared with hospital medicine, and the work-life balance of a GP is likely better than a hospital consultant.

In terms of reapplying to a training programme, you could check on the IMT website (or perhaps Oriel), but I think if you've previously resigned, then you need support from the postgraduate dean to re-apply (they need to complete a form). I think having some sort of mitigating circumstances at the time would probably help. (Although I wonder if the fact that IMT has replaced CMT may provide a "loophole" here, because technically it's a different programme?)
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Huma sawanz)
Hi! I am a gp and my other half was doing cmt until a year ago. Due to awful work life balance we decided he should resign which he did. He was nearly a CT2. Now he is doing gp training but does not seem to like it and keeps thinking about CMT and hospital medicine. I kinda feel guilty the he might have made the decision about resigning coz i kept moaning about him not having any time for me and our little one.
Does anyone know if one can reapply after resigning from CMT? TIA
Presumably you had good reasons for him making this decision and they will not have changed.Do you plan on having more children?How will you feel then.Before he jumps back into the frying pan you really need to think realisticly about the future.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A tough one. Presumably he wouldn't want to start from the 'bottom' again, re-starting from IMT1. For most specialities its 3 years now rather than 2 as well, with lots more on calls in the third year... he knows this right?

Has he considered going part time? Could do IMT on 80% LTFT - makes it a bit longer but improved work life balance in terms of time to look after kids?

He needs to approach the deanery and ask.
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
(Although I wonder if the fact that IMT has replaced CMT may provide a "loophole" here, because technically it's a different programme?)
Alternatively, a barrier meaning he can't possibly re-enter at IMT2 level as he might otherwise have been able to!
Huma sawanz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you all thats very helpful. Some imp points for us to consider before deciding. Much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (53)
36.05%
No (77)
52.38%
I don't know (17)
11.56%

Watched Threads