Anxiety coping mechanisms

Watch
ewpfs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m 18, I wouldn’t say I have anxiety as I’m not diagnosed, but I do get anxious in social situations.

The thing is, I’m quite a chatty person and I make friends easily, but I just feel awkward in everything I do. I feel like I don’t do anything right - I feel like I sit weird, I don’t walk properly, I don’t stand properly, I don’t know if that makes sense but yeah.

Does anyone have any tips?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
coping mechanisms for general anxiety: exercise, meditation, creative stuff (I'm talking singing, painting, photography, knitting etc) finding comedy in situations, problem solving situations, talking stuff out with someone you trust, listening to music, journaling
coping with intense anxiety/ panic attacks: breathing exercises, body scans, grounding techniques, there are some helpful apps around eg calm, headspace
talk to your gp or have a look at the nhs website
charliestevans
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it’s very normal for people to experience anxiety in social situations, however severity can vary. 1 in 6 people experience symptoms of anxiety in the UK. i am quite the same and i find that mindfulness helps me greatly. also, try to imagine that the person who you’re talking to experiences anxiety too, put yourself in their shoes too. they too would probably feel anxious?

additionally, i find that walking and reducing screen time helps greatly. not only does it make you healthier, but it makes you more familiar with social situations and boosts your mood.

try to also get enough sleep and eat healthily! drink plenty of water as-well. these are fundamental.

take care and don’t forget many services are again or if you feel anxious or low more often!
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)
I’m 18, I wouldn’t say I have anxiety as I’m not diagnosed, but I do get anxious in social situations.

The thing is, I’m quite a chatty person and I make friends easily, but I just feel awkward in everything I do. I feel like I don’t do anything right - I feel like I sit weird, I don’t walk properly, I don’t stand properly, I don’t know if that makes sense but yeah.

I can tell you that most people at your age feel exactly the same and are far too worried about themselves to think about what you are doing/thinking.
boulderingislife
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)

Do some mindfulness work. Google
it. Also meditation and breathing exercises work well for me.
Analyst89
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ewpfs)

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, you have got as much right as everyone else.

Think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily. Relax.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what's the latest, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

9) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.48%
I'm not sure (58)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.96%
I'm not a current university student (607)
48.56%

Watched Threads