tips you would you give a student who doesn’t know anything doing GCSEs in 7 months ?

Watch
Sike786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I struggle massively with procrastination / laziness and lack of motivation to do any school work. I always day dream in class ( been doing it since primary school.) Because of my procrastination and laziness and lack of motivation / drive to do work I have been put in low sets that have not challenged me mentally through my whole high school year. ( I’m in year 11 now ) I always get work that is super easy and because of my quietness in class teachers assume I am not smart as I never pay attention in class and constantly get told of for daydreaming. I also pretend to do work when teachers look at me, when in reality I don’t , I just copy my friends that sit next to me during the end of the lesson and just change a few words so I don’t get caught. ( Been doing this for 4 years.) I find lessons extremely boring as teachers make everything long winded. And generally don’t care about students in my class as some of them are not even passing and are predicted grade 3s. However I can learn in school quickly by focusing when I want to. I have never done a homework in my life, I usually get my friends to do it for me / copy my friends. As I keep telling my mum, I never learn anything in school. The only reason I go is so my mum doesn’t get a fine. I never revise and somehow manage to get a grade 5 ( which is my predicted grade ) with flying colours. That’s why teachers never question me. Because I am in a low set the teachers only want students in my class to pass and get a minimum grade 5 thus they only teach us how to achieve a grade 5 nothing above. When I know in reality I could get a grade 8/9. I have one sibling studying medicine in Cambridge university. And another which is studying accounting in Kings collage. ( you can probably tell I’m the youngest.) They both did AMAZING for their GCSE’s. They keep telling me GCSEs are so easy and to do exam papers of every subject and write the questions of the ones I didn’t get right on flash cards. But I’m not anyway near the level of smart as them. it just hit me now that I don’t even know some of the content for certain subjects . I don’t even know how to revise. I don’t know what to do and how to do it and where I should begin revising. And I’m panicking. I’m struggling a lot with self doubt and constantly start crying coz of the stress and anxiety I’m secretly struggling with and the position I have bought myself to be in. My grandmas who also lives with me is supper ill and lost her ability to walk and has bladder problems. My mum has a part time job to pay bills, she goes work when I come back from school and my siblings are at their unis. so I stay with my grandma and have to feed her , take her to the bathroom and sometimes even clean her feaces / urine. Me and my mum also get tested every 2 weeks to make sure we don’t have covid before going next to my grandma. Teachers are constantly yelling at me because of my habbit to day dream and are putting me down. Threatening to put me in a Lower set when in reality I’m struggling with so much stress. I only have 7 months left till my gcse and I’m not sure if I’m gonna do my exams because of covid -19. I really want to do exams because I know for a fact I could get higher than my predicted grades. I need all the tips i can get, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m so sorry for writing such a long paragraph.

sreddy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi, feel free to pm me or lemme know if u want my insta. i got all 9s in my gcses and my revision was usually concise but short, im happy to give you tips! im sure u can achieve ur potential
sreddy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what subjects do u do? remember 7 months is plenty of time so try not to stress, u can turn this around!
S Z H
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m also in Yr11 and I would advise you to find your way to revise. A lot of people like making notes,some like watching videos, some like to read the textbook, some like to learn it and discuss it with someone. Once you find that you will feel less tired and lazy when it comes to studying. If any siblings are free ask them to call you/sit with you and explain something to you. Or instead of copying hw ask friends to explain the topic at the end of the lesson. Or if you’re doing hw together, ask them to explain to you why they wrote a specific thing even if you’re copying, it will stick in ur head.

Hope this helps

________________________________ ______

Some YouTube revision videos include:
•Primrose kitten (science)
•Mr Bruff (English)
•Mr salles (English)
•Craigndave (computer science)
•Bizconsesh (business)
•Corbett maths (maths)

A very useful website is- physics and maths tutor, it’s has maths sciences and more subject Qs and past papers etc
Last edited by S Z H; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15%
I'm not sure (14)
3.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
33.95%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (174)
45.79%

Watched Threads