tasnimali2492
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,
For my english lit coursework, I wanted to find a 2 books that highlight the role of women whether it's the oppression they face or the freedom. I was thinking A dolls house but I'm struggling to find a book that I can compare it to. I'm open to any suggestions and would appreciate some help. Thank you
Goodbye13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath or The Yellow Wallpaper by... I can’t quite remember who. Anything Jane Austen is good when talking about women, especially if you want to talk about the alienation of women from society as keeping in domestic sphere’s or the way marriage can mean mobility for women. Erm... Margaret Atwood’s the Handmaid’s Tale is like the pre-set text when thinking feminism. The Crucible or the Scarlet Letter may be good if your looking for plays that take women into consideration. The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy or Sylvia Plath’s poetry if your looking for poems, she has some beautiful poems about domestic life and motherhood. Oranges Aren’t Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (I think that’s her name) and The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter if you’re looking for more obscure references. Hope that helps 👍🏾.
tasnimali2492
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Goodbye13)
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath or The Yellow Wallpaper by... I can’t quite remember who. Anything Jane Austen is good when talking about women, especially if you want to talk about the alienation of women from society as keeping in domestic sphere’s or the way marriage can mean mobility for women. Erm... Margaret Atwood’s the Handmaid’s Tale is like the pre-set text when thinking feminism. The Crucible or the Scarlet Letter may be good if your looking for plays that take women into consideration. The World’s Wife by Carol Ann Duffy or Sylvia Plath’s poetry if your looking for poems, she has some beautiful poems about domestic life and motherhood. Oranges Aren’t Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson (I think that’s her name) and The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter if you’re looking for more obscure references. Hope that helps 👍🏾.
Wow thank you so much for your help! I think I'm going to choose the Bell jar. Do you have any similarities and differences I can draw upon? Or the major themes they both talk about?

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads