I want to take Zoology or Marine Biology at uni but I don't know what a-levels to do.

Watch
stressed_out_rob
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently deciding what a-levels to take, as I have received conflicting information as to what is required by various websites. I know I will be taking Biology and Mathematics no matter what, however, for my third a-level I do not know if I will be taking Chemistry or Economics (at my sixth form these two courses are being held in the same time slot so I cannot take both and drop one at AS). I know that I am more interested in Economics than Chemistry, however, some websites claim Chemistry is required in some universities. I also want to keep my options open, in-case I change my mind so Chemistry seems like the better option there. I have also looked into taking an online course in Chemistry (https://www.openstudycollege.com/cou...evel-chemistry) after I have completed 6th form but I don't know how seriously universities take these things. I have only 4 days left to decide Chemistry or Economics so fast responses would be greatly appreciated.

P.S- I am also conflicted on taking either Physics as an AS or doing an EPQ because I do not know which one is more cared about when applying to Universities.
rach0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have a look into which unis you like and write them down. Then see which ones offer zoology & which do marine. Then write down what requirements they need for each. You will definitely need biology. Can i ask why you are doing maths? your choices could be chemistry economics and biology.
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by stressed_out_rob)
I am currently deciding what a-levels to take, as I have received conflicting information as to what is required by various websites. I know I will be taking Biology and Mathematics no matter what, however, for my third a-level I do not know if I will be taking Chemistry or Economics (at my sixth form these two courses are being held in the same time slot so I cannot take both and drop one at AS). I know that I am more interested in Economics than Chemistry, however, some websites claim Chemistry is required in some universities. I also want to keep my options open, in-case I change my mind so Chemistry seems like the better option there. I have also looked into taking an online course in Chemistry (https://www.openstudycollege.com/cou...evel-chemistry) after I have completed 6th form but I don't know how seriously universities take these things. I have only 4 days left to decide Chemistry or Economics so fast responses would be greatly appreciated.

P.S- I am also conflicted on taking either Physics as an AS or doing an EPQ because I do not know which one is more cared about when applying to Universities.
Hey stressed_out_rob
I did really similar A-level choices, I took Biology, Chemistry and Economics and did Math AS level!
As the other commenter has suggested, if you know what you want to do then have a look at the requirements of a couple of specific universities, as they will all be slightly different.
For example at Reading when I applied, Economics was considered a science and therefore I needn't have taken chemistry, however if I hadn't done chemistry A level I would have to have taken a chemistry module in the first year of University. And I do remember several other Uni's having similar requirements.
Personally I would advise taking the A level you think you will enjoy more as A levels can be quite a slog and if you are studying something you enjoy it makes a huge difference!
As for physics or an EPQ each University will have different views, which I know isn't entirely helpful but its the reality. So take whichever you will enjoy more and whichever you will get the most out of. But also know in after my first year of taking Biology (although mostly zoology and ecology modules) I haven't personally done anything that remotely resembles physics, but have really needed to work on my essay writing skills-which I lost over A levels!

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions please feel free to reach out - good luck with your decision and remember you can always change your mind in a few weeks time!

Zoe
Second year Biological sciences and student ambassador
stressed_out_rob
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am taking maths because it is another subject I have a lot of passion for and thoroughly enjoy, I am also unable to do Chemistry and Economics because they are in the same time slot at the sixth form I am enrolled at.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed