Tyler129
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m thinking about applying to an audits & accounts trainee/clerk position at an accounting firm. The firm has around 200 employees. Currently I’m on a gap year with a place at UCL for Econ. I was wondering if working as an accounts trainee would help me secure spring weeks, etc. at uni. My long term goals are to work in finance and IB. Also does anyone have some advice on what I could do n my gap year to maybe stand out a bit more when I apply for spring weeks etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
alex20000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any experience in accounting will give you a big leg up for Audit/ other accounting positions after you graduate/ internships in larger companies.

For IB/ finance, societies, high grades and knowledge of IB processes is also very important (the one year in accounting wouldn't hurt too).

Overall, the position wouldn't hurt, but you should focus on looking more into IB and the things you need to know. Would be much more useful if you visit WSO, they have a lot of information on generic questions like this from many who are in a similar position. Good luck!
Tyler129
Rep:
?
Bump
Tyler129
Rep:
?
(Original post by alex20000)
Any experience in accounting will give you a big leg up for Audit/ other accounting positions after you graduate/ internships in larger companies.

For IB/ finance, societies, high grades and knowledge of IB processes is also very important (the one year in accounting wouldn't hurt too).

Overall, the position wouldn't hurt, but you should focus on looking more into IB and the things you need to know. Would be much more useful if you visit WSO, they have a lot of information on generic questions like this from many who are in a similar position. Good luck!
Will have at look at WSO thanks
K1NE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tyler129)
I’m thinking about applying to an audits & accounts trainee/clerk position at an accounting firm. The firm has around 200 employees. Currently I’m on a gap year with a place at UCL for Econ. I was wondering if working as an accounts trainee would help me secure spring weeks, etc. at uni. My long term goals are to work in finance and IB. Also does anyone have some advice on what I could do n my gap year to maybe stand out a bit more when I apply for spring weeks etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

I'm not entirely familiar with IB, given I'm an accountant. I would say though working as an accounts trainee for a year would be great experience and would be a good opportunity to give you some practical experience on your C.V. Many people during and pre-university have very little in office experience so it could be a good chance for you build on some soft skills that will help in any office environment.

Working as an accounts trainee specifically may also help you exposure to a financial statements such as Balance Sheets, Cash flow, Profit and Loss statements, all of which I assume would be relevant in the world of IB. I don't know much but I assume IB analysts would need some level of understanding of financial statements for to calculate various metrics.

So in summary, doing some accounting experience in my opinion would be helpful. IB's quite competitive so the more you can talk about on your C.V to stand-out the better your chance. Just make sure your grades at university are solid too i.e aiming for a 1st to maximise your chances of getting into the field.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.68%
I'm not sure (54)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.35%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (567)
48.38%

Watched Threads