Mlopez14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would it work if I used the question F = BILsinx with L being the perimeter of the coil? (so 1.20m)
Attached files
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mlopez14)
Would it work if I used the question F = BILsinx with L being the perimeter of the coil? (so 1.20m)
The equation F= BIL sinθ will work if you apply it correctly. Note that the θ that appears in the equation is different from the θ that appears in the question.

The following video may help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xER1_SYql44

L is the NOT the perimeter as the different current segment of the coil makes different orientation with respect to the magnetic field.
Hint: We only need to consider the 0.40 m segment.

Are you doing A level or University Physics?
Mlopez14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
A level,
I am aware that L is length, but I wasn't sure which length to take
Last edited by Mlopez14; 11 months ago
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A level,
It would be great that you explain what you “understand” of the equation F= BIL sinθ.

Different “current” segment of the coil makes with different angles with the magnetic field lines.

How is “0.40 m-current” segment orientated with respect to the magnetic field? Same question for “0.20 m-current” segment.
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
A level,
The following websites may help you to decide which length of the coil to take.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...c/forwir2.html
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/ph...ing-conductor/
Mlopez14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
It would be great that you explain what you “understand” of the equation F= BIL sinθ.

Different “current” segment of the coil makes with different angles with the magnetic field lines.

How is “0.40 m-current” segment orientated with respect to the magnetic field? Same question for “0.20 m-current” segment.
B = the magnetic flux. I = current L = length of wire sin0 is the angle that wires make with the magnetic field lines. That's how I understand it
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
B = the magnetic flux. I = current L = length of wire sin0 is the angle that wires make with the magnetic field lines. That's how I understand it

Some modification to your understanding is required IMO.

The symbol B denotes magnetic flux density or magnetic field strength or magnetic field vector. In studying electromagnetic induction, you would encounter magnetic flux which is a scalar quantity but magnetic flux density is a vector quantity.

The symbol θ is known as theta it is the angle between the direction of current and magnetic field (lines) NOT sin θ.

I think I should change the equation to

F= BIL sin ϕ

to avoid confusion of the usage of θ in the question.

ϕ represents the angle between the direction of current and magnetic field (lines).

What is the angle ϕ between the “0.40 m-current” and the magnetic field from the top view?
Spoiler:
Show

magnetic field is perpendicular the “0.40 m-current”segment.

What is the angle ϕ between the “0.20 m-current” and the magnetic field from the top view?

Once you have figured out the answers to the 2 questions, the rest of the questions should be easy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (27)
13.71%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.57%
I need help with my personal statement (81)
41.12%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (50)
25.38%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.52%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise