BurgerTitan00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am unsure on how to do this question relating to moments

A 200m bridge span is supported at both ends. The span weighs 100 tonnes. A 30tonne bus is 50m from one end of the span. Calculate the supporting force holding the bridge up at the end nearer the bus. Please give your answer to 2 significant figures.
The Trut
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BurgerTitan00)
I am unsure on how to do this question relating to moments

A 200m bridge span is supported at both ends. The span weighs 100 tonnes. A 30tonne bus is 50m from one end of the span. Calculate the supporting force holding the bridge up at the end nearer the bus. Please give your answer to 2 significant figures.
Hi BurgerTitan00,
For this question you should use moments equations. Set A as the support closer to the bus and B as the one on the other side.
Then you should set B as a pivot and therefore: (since moments = force x perpendicular distance)
(100Tg x 100m) + (30Tg x 150m) = (Force of A x 200m)
(Also the reason why the 100 tonnes acts at a distance of 100m is because it is the centre of mass and it is assumed that the span is a uniform span) (Also T = 1x10^3 Kg and I think you need to convert in this question!)
This is the anticlockwise moments = clockwise moments. And g=9.8 as you need to use the weight of the objects, not the masses, which is confusing as it says "weighs" so you just need to be careful with that.
Now if you divide both sides by 200 you should have the Force of A which should be 710,500 N
Which is 710 kN (2sf). (Hopefully this is helps!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (153)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (460)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (349)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (435)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (147)
4.71%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6.02%
Loneliness (269)
8.62%
Financial worries (113)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (125)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (141)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (170)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (278)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (294)
9.42%

Watched Threads