Josh burns
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello all,

I am a year 13 student right now and I have the oppurtunity of either studying Economics at Warwick and pursuing a career in finance or pursuing a caeer in dentistry.

I am torn between the two. One one hand Dentistry is sort of like a safe career. If I get in then it'll be a 9 to 5 job with good pay and good job security. Also have good social life as well as its not as intense. This is appealing to me as I would be able to live a comfortable life with time to spend with my family which is very important. However, the one bad thing about dentistry is that I'll always be stuck there. Like I think I'd find it a bit boring day in day out looking at peoples teeth all day like its not something that really facinates me but I'll be content with the pay and the working hours.

One the other hand a career as like an Investment Banker facinates me. Like I would be genuinly interested in researching about different companies and working with clients and stuff. The only think about a career in finance that bothers me if the long long working hours and the lack of job security. Like I said before I want to be able to spend a good amount of time with my family and other activites but I feel like with the hours you have to put in as a Banker i will get no time. Also I'm afraid that I wont get a job like i heard its really tough to get a good job and what if I just dont make it then I'm doomed.

So ye these are my two options like thinking about it is killing me. I'm wasting so much time thinking about this like I'm not getting any work done and like I need to make a decision soon.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks a lot
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
you can become a banker with a dentistry degree but not the other way. if your number one priority is job security then dentistry because that path is black and white. there's very little guarantee you'll get into banking cos the competition is mad and the application process is tiring (and you have to repeat it every time you fail an application). dentistry to me just seem more straight forward because it's so technical, you won't have many competition
Josh burns
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ihatePE)
you can become a banker with a dentistry degree but not the other way. if your number one priority is job security then dentistry because that path is black and white. there's very little guarantee you'll get into banking cos the competition is mad and the application process is tiring (and you have to repeat it every time you fail an application). dentistry to me just seem more straight forward because it's so technical, you won't have many competition
That is facts like getting the job is soo much harder with Banking. But the thing is what if thats what I like doing tho. Like obvs i dont like the long hours and stuff but I like the idea of working in an office due to watching suits so i dunno what to do

what if i graduate from a good uni like warwick with economics will that increase my chances?
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Josh burns)
what if i graduate from a good uni like warwick with economics will that increase my chances
I just want to be brutal honest and say it doesn't help much. the Warwick name will give a momentary "wow" impression but then after that you need to sell yourself, which is a skill in itself. but given that this is something you're interested in then showcasing passion will be easy and an advantage.
countduckula1906
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You'll find it much easier to become a dentist with a dentist degree than becoming a banker. Regardless of what degree you have. Banking it a cut throat application process. Talking from experience.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
(Original post by countduckula1906)
You'll find it much easier to become a dentist with a dentist degree than becoming a banker. Regardless of what degree you have. Banking it a cut throat application process. Talking from experience.
oh fairs ye im not thinking about being a banker anymore as i dont think its worth it

thank you guys for your help and advice
Jess9700
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Josh burns)
Like obvs i dont like the long hours and stuff but I like the idea of working in an office due to watching suits so i dunno what to do
The reality of workingin an office is not like what you see on the movies.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jess9700)
The reality of workingin an office is not like what you see on the movies.
true lol ive decided im gonna go try ( probs wont get chosen ahaha) to be a dentist now best path ahead for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads