Hello! Do I have a good shot for MA Law and graduate entry LLB courses?

Watch
ruthlessrulerk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I am currently working on my applications for graduate-entry LLB courses & a MA Law course. I aim to ask for deferred entry for 2022 since I will be serving in the military until early May of 2022. Here is the list of schools I will send in my applications:

Graduate Entry LLB:

Birmingham
Queen's University Belfast
Exeter
Glasgow

Postgraduate MA Law:

Bristol

Here are my questions:

Firstly, I read their entry requirements, and they all require a 2:1 degree. Do I have a good shot for all of them since I have a First class degree from a Russell Group university? Besides the grade, I have some work experiences as well as extra-curricular activities at uni.

Secondly, how long does it usually take for unis to send their decisions? I plan to submit my applications in early October once my professors send in their recommendation letters.

Thirdly, how important is the personal statement? I know there are contradicting views on its importance; some say it is very important whilst others regard it as trivial. Since this is my first time to apply for law courses in the UK, I wonder how different the admissions process law courses have from other courses'.

Many thanks in advance!
Last edited by ruthlessrulerk; 1 month ago
Supermature
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If, as you say, you have a First Class Honours degree from a Russell Group University you should have no problem meeting the entry requirements for any of the courses you have listed, particularly if your degree is in a cognate discipline such as a humanities or social science subject. If you are an international student you would need to meet the relevant English Language requirements for each course.

The Graduate Entry LLB is regarded as a first (undergraduate) degree and you would usually be expected to apply via UCAS.

The Bristol MA Law is a bespoke postgraduate degree which is classed as a Qualifying Law Degree for the legal professions and covers much the same ground but, in this case, you would apply directly to the University.

The time it takes to receive an offer varies greatly depending on when and where you apply. It is likely that you will get more detailed feedback on your application if you apply for the Bristol course. You need to check that it is possible to apply for entry as far ahead as 2022.

As for the personal statement, it is often seen as a test of how well you can express yourself in writing. This is more important than what you actually put in it, but you must show that you have a genuine interest in the course. It is quite important - but your degree classification and your academic references will carry the greatest weight.
ruthlessrulerk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Supermature)
If, as you say, you have a First Class Honours degree from a Russell Group University you should have no problem meeting the entry requirements for any of the courses you have listed, particularly if your degree is in a cognate discipline such as a humanities or social science subject. If you are an international student you would need to meet the relevant English Language requirements for each course.

The Graduate Entry LLB is regarded as a first (undergraduate) degree and you would usually be expected to apply via UCAS.

The Bristol MA Law is a bespoke postgraduate degree which is classed as a Qualifying Law Degree for the legal professions and covers much the same ground but, in this case, you would apply directly to the University.

The time it takes to receive an offer varies greatly depending on when and where you apply. It is likely that you will get more detailed feedback on your application if you apply for the Bristol course. You need to check that it is possible to apply for entry as far ahead as 2022.

As for the personal statement, it is often seen as a test of how well you can express yourself in writing. This is more important than what you actually put in it, but you must show that you have a genuine interest in the course. It is quite important - but your degree classification and your academic references will carry the greatest weight.
Thank you for your kind & detailed advice! I will have to just do my best on every bit of my applications and hope for the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads