The Student Room Group

Getting in a state about blood test results

Guys so I’ve had a lot of odd symptoms in the past few weeks including unexplained bruising, excessive sweating, and losing 5kg for no reason whatsoever. Also some joint aches without any obvious injury and back pain.

I rang the gp today and have become increasingly anxious since they asked about family history of cancer and then sent me the hospital for urgent blood tests which I had earlier today.

I was googling symptoms ect and I have read a lot about blood cancers and now I’m really getting myself worked up that this is the cause. I’m now finding it super hard to just carry on with my day as I’m just constantly worrying about what the blood tests results will show and keep going online to read more about symptoms and possible diagnosis ect.

I have dealt with bad spells of anxiety before and this is really just pushing me over the edge.

Does anyone have any advice on how to calm down and not panic so much.

Also, if the blood results are concerning would the doctor ring me straight away or not? Not sure how it works.
They have done these “urgent blood tests” to me before and I stressed out about them too and there was nothing wrong they do them if there is a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of anything being wrong cause that’s there job if there was something that required your immediate attention they will call you ASAP
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
They have done these “urgent blood tests” to me before and I stressed out about them too and there was nothing wrong they do them if there is a 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of anything being wrong cause that’s there job if there was something that required your immediate attention they will call you ASAP

Do you know like how soon they would ring? I did the blood test like at midday today so would it be like tomorrow if it was urgent?
Do you know like how soon they would ring? I did the blood test like at midday today so would it be like tomorrow if it was urgent?

In my experience with regular blood tests, it will take a couple of days, up to a week but I've always been told to ring after so many days (usually 4-5). However, as yours was via the hospital they are obviously concerned, so I would expect a call in the next couple of days and no later than the end of the week. If you haven't heard anything by Thurs/Fri maybe give the hospital or GP a call and ask when to expect it.
Reply 4
Original post by Paralove
In my experience with regular blood tests, it will take a couple of days, up to a week but I've always been told to ring after so many days (usually 4-5). However, as yours was via the hospital they are obviously concerned, so I would expect a call in the next couple of days and no later than the end of the week. If you haven't heard anything by Thurs/Fri maybe give the hospital or GP a call and ask when to expect it.

Yeh basically I had a telephone gp appointment and I was told I would need urgent blood tests so I got it done today; thanks for the info :smile:
Also, if the blood results are concerning would the doctor ring me straight away or not? Not sure how it works.

Yes they will ring you if they need to.

Quick Reply

Latest