The Student Room Group

Ucas residential category 2021-2022

Hi, I’m applying for an undergraduate course in the uk for the year 2021-2022. This is my situation:- I have dual citizenship, both UK and Italian- I was born in Italy but then moved to the UK and lived there for 6 years- I moved back to Italy and this is where i’ve been living for the past ten years and I intend to move back to the UK next year. What residential category do I fit in ??I’m so confused. I can’t put “UK national- England” because I haven’t been living there for the past three years but I can’t put “EU national (non UK citizen) because I am a British citizen. The questionnaire has been no help whatsoever because I still don’t fit in a category. Should I put “other” as category? That doesn’t feel right to me though. The british embassy has told me I can be eligible for home fee status next year (when brexit is complete) as I am a UK national. But I’m still very confused as to what residential category I need to put on UCAS. Help 😭🙏🏻
Reply 1
Hi,
My daughter is literally in the same boat as you, though she has never lived in the uk but she has dual nationality. I am really struggling to get a straight answer from Student Finance England because, I think tbh they are not exactly sure themselves. I have also spoken to a couple of unis about home fee status and SF but they can't give me answer either. There was a post on the gov.uk website which annoyingly I cannot paste the link to :mad: but if you do a google search for 'UK nationals in the EEA and Switzerland: access to higher education and 19+ further education' it should take you to the info. Here it says you are eligible for home fees and finance regardless of having lived in the uk for 3 yrs before your studies begin. They are giving a window up to 2027 for this. What is inexplicable is having British citizenship, right of abode, etc and not be classed as a home student. What do they expect? Brits abroad should ship their children off to live with relatives in the uk to be eligible for home fees????? It doesn't make sense.
Reply 2
Original post by Amb2020
Hi,
My daughter is literally in the same boat as you, though she has never lived in the uk but she has dual nationality. I am really struggling to get a straight answer from Student Finance England because, I think tbh they are not exactly sure themselves. I have also spoken to a couple of unis about home fee status and SF but they can't give me answer either. There was a post on the gov.uk website which annoyingly I cannot paste the link to :mad: but if you do a google search for 'UK nationals in the EEA and Switzerland: access to higher education and 19+ further education' it should take you to the info. Here it says you are eligible for home fees and finance regardless of having lived in the uk for 3 yrs before your studies begin. They are giving a window up to 2027 for this. What is inexplicable is having British citizenship, right of abode, etc and not be classed as a home student. What do they expect? Brits abroad should ship their children off to live with relatives in the uk to be eligible for home fees????? It doesn't make sense.

Hi did you have any issues as i have same problem now.

Latest

Trending

Trending