How can I be entered into a higher tier exam?

Watch
Tynawaz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
In the summer 2020 exams I was entered in a foundation tier for combined science. I can not get above grade 5 in that, and I wish to get a higher grade. For that I need to be entered as a higher tier student and my school won't do that. They say that if I go to another exam centre, they too may not enter me in the higher tier. How could I enter as a higher tier student?
erancl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
since gcses are over, there’s probably not much u can do to enter into higher tier. The only way I guess you could try to get a higher grade is to enter in for higher tier in the autumn gcse exams? But again because of covid I’m not sure, you’d have to speak to your school. But at the end of the day, gcses are over and if u have got into the a level courses you want then gcses won’t really matter any more, because in the future unis/workplaces will only be looking for a level grades and work experience/volunteering/ucas points, etc
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you enter as a private candidate (i.e. anywhere not at your home centre) then, as you are paying, you choose the tier you enter. Your school is wrong if they say that you can't.
ItsAlicia
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tynawaz)
In the summer 2020 exams I was entered in a foundation tier for combined science. I can not get above grade 5 in that, and I wish to get a higher grade. For that I need to be entered as a higher tier student and my school won't do that. They say that if I go to another exam centre, they too may not enter me in the higher tier. How could I enter as a higher tier student?
Omg I just finished my GCSEs (even though I didn’t even sit them lol). You are in the EXACT same boat as I was😱. I was also doing combined science and my science teacher was adamant that he was putting me on foundation. By the grace of God (and COVID and exams being cancelled) I ended up being given a 6-6. However, I did try my best to prove him wrong. What I advise you is:

-PROVE yourself in MOCK examinations!

-PROVE yourself in homework tasks (be extra with them and do them in the best of your ability)

-Get your parents into the school for a meeting with your science teacher and come to an agreement about your tier. Say you’re willing to work hard and prove yourself and have your parents back you up too. *i recommend this*

-Maybe write your teacher a letter! Let them know how you’re feeling and how much you want this.

-Maybe say you want a career in health (even if you don’t want to), your teacher may feel obligated to put you on higher not to limit your dreams.

-The last resort is... Cry. (I cried on the last day of school over all the stress of exams being cancelled and my grades being affected. He caved. And put me on higher). 😭

Try your best and don’t give up on persuading your teacher!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads