confuzzledteen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Anyone applying to Robinson College (2021 Entry), or have been/ are currently studying there? I've been lurking on Cambridge threads trying to find other people who've applied to Robinson as well - and it seems like no one has! Would be nice to be able to speak to people who have stayed there or are planning to apply there.. I know that it's a fairly relaxed, small college compared to the other more popular ones (e.g. Queen's, King's, etc.) but it's size & emphasis on being a chill, relaxed college is what attracted me haha.
kewurfwkmefhvbk
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why not get in touch with a student in your subject at Robinson? See this link from their student union website: http://www.rcsa.co.uk/subject
aconstanthamlet
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi! I’m applying to Robinson for MML. I was really torn by my college choice in the end but I ended up settling on Robinson because of how close it is to the University library and Sidgwick site and the less pretentious feel of the college, not to mention the large music and arts societies and facilities they have there! Accommodation is a drawback but I could see myself being much happier there than one of the larger and more grandiose colleges that force so many traditional rules on their students. Hopefully my application will be sent soon.
Davip25
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by aconstanthamlet)
Hi! I’m applying to Robinson for MML. I was really torn by my college choice in the end but I ended up settling on Robinson because of how close it is to the University library and Sidgwick site and the less pretentious feel of the college, not to mention the large music and arts societies and facilities they have there! Accommodation is a drawback but I could see myself being much happier there than one of the larger and more grandiose colleges that force so many traditional rules on their students. Hopefully my application will be sent soon.
Why do you consider accomodation to be a drawback? We have a child in his third year there and all his rooms have been perfectly satisfactory.

I agree with your other reasons for choosing the college, though
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by kewurfwkmefhvbk)
Why not get in touch with a student in your subject at Robinson? See this link from their student union website: http://www.rcsa.co.uk/subject
Thank you for this! I did so & ended up chatting with the current and past rep - both lovely people x
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Honestly, yeah, I was torn between Homerton & Robinson but ended up picking the latter as I love it's relaxed vibe. Like idk, it just seems like such a nice chill college compared to the others and I really hope that I get into it.. The large music societies was such an attraction to me as well, as I have played in an orchestra for years so I'd love to be able to continue that at university
aconstanthamlet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
Honestly, yeah, I was torn between Homerton & Robinson but ended up picking the latter as I love it's relaxed vibe. Like idk, it just seems like such a nice chill college compared to the others and I really hope that I get into it.. The large music societies was such an attraction to me as well, as I have played in an orchestra for years so I'd love to be able to continue that at university
No way, I want to continue orchestra at university too! What instrument(s) do you play? I was really attracted to the beautiful architecture of the older colleges, but when I really thought about the environment and atmosphere that I wanted to be living in 24/7 I knew Robinson would be the best fit. I also love how the music societies put on casual mini-concerts during the week for the college with free admission! It seems like a nice contrast to the more traditional atmosphere of the other colleges in the city center. Glad to see someone else applying!
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
No way, I want to continue orchestra at university too! What instrument(s) do you play? I was really attracted to the beautiful architecture of the older colleges, but when I really thought about the environment and atmosphere that I wanted to be living in 24/7 I knew Robinson would be the best fit. I also love how the music societies put on casual mini-concerts during the week for the college with free admission! It seems like a nice contrast to the more traditional atmosphere of the other colleges in the city center. Glad to see someone else applying!
Hope we both manage to get it & can play for the orchestra there! I play the violin, viola & flute (though am not that confident in the flute) - at my high school, I was the concertmaster (so Violin 1), but as we only had one other Violist I would often just play the Viola instead as tbh it's a lot more chill and I love the depth of its sound.. What do you play?
aconstanthamlet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hope we both manage to get it & can play for the orchestra there! I play the violin, viola & flute (though am not that confident in the flute) - at my high school, I was the concertmaster (so Violin 1), but as we only had one other Violist I would often just play the Viola instead as tbh it's a lot more chill and I love the depth of its sound.. What do you play?
I play the violin too! Our school had a small ensemble which was fun to play in but I also played for my local youth orchestra when I joined sixth form which was cool. I'm trying to teach myself piano too but I wouldn't say I can play it exactly...yet :lol: It's awesome that you play viola and flute too- the viola is such an underestimated instrument!

What course are you applying for?
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
I play the violin too! Our school had a small ensemble which was fun to play in but I also played for my local youth orchestra when I joined sixth form which was cool. I'm trying to teach myself piano too but I wouldn't say I can play it exactly...yet :lol: It's awesome that you play viola and flute too- the viola is such an underestimated instrument!

What course are you applying for?
Oo that sounds lovely! Did you do grades for the violin? And the piano is a beautiful instrument - self-teaching yourself it is impressive, I found it so challenging when I had to try and play even just the right-hand for GCSE Music lol. And it's definitely an underrated instrument - I agree with you there x Plenty of music memes make fun of us hahah

I'm applying for Economics!
aconstanthamlet
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Oo that sounds lovely! Did you do grades for the violin? And the piano is a beautiful instrument - self-teaching yourself it is impressive, I found it so challenging when I had to try and play even just the right-hand for GCSE Music lol. And it's definitely an underrated instrument - I agree with you there x Plenty of music memes make fun of us hahah

I'm applying for Economics!
I did do grades, but I stopped taking regular lessons after I got my grade 8 and now I'm just playing whatever I like! And yeah piano is tricky, although it seems much easier to learn than the violin (I will never forget the early years where I was scratching out a tune that mildly resembled twinkle twinkle little star). Do you happen to watch TwoSet Violin? They make music memes and reaction videos on youtube and they seem to be fuelling most of the viola memes.

Economics sounds so cool! The subject is beyond me, but it's such an amazing degree to have! Good luck with your application
confuzzledteen
Rep:
?
I did do grades, but I stopped taking regular lessons after I got my grade 8 and now I'm just playing whatever I like! And yeah piano is tricky, although it seems much easier to learn than the violin (I will never forget the early years where I was scratching out a tune that mildly resembled twinkle twinkle little star). Do you happen to watch TwoSet Violin? They make music memes and reaction videos on youtube and they seem to be fuelling most of the viola memes.

Economics sounds so cool! The subject is beyond me, but it's such an amazing degree to have! Good luck with your application
Hahah I remember those! And the frustration, when your teacher would tell you that you weren't holding your bow right.. Glad those times are over lol. And yes haha, they are so ruthless when it comes to the viola - I get it's all bantz but some people have taken it seriously smh.

And I feel the exact same way, regarding MML! Good luck to you too I hope we both get in. Do you have an Instagram, by any chance? Would be nice to keep in contact with some potential friends in the UK x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
17.1%
I'm not sure (5)
2.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (68)
35.23%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.55%
I'm not a current university student (84)
43.52%

Watched Threads