RemiABI
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i have absolutely no idea how to revise. I really want to do well in my mocks as the gcses aren't definite so please can someone tell me what they did to revise?
Aleena123456789
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d recommend doing past papers and buying a text book to refer to when you’re struggling with a topic.
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
practice papers, topic papers, past papers... just lots of exam questions. plenty of resources freely available online for maths that explain topics well so take advantage of them.
Aleena123456789
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Corbett maths is a really good website to check.
DoNotMove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RemiABI)
i have absolutely no idea how to revise. I really want to do well in my mocks as the gcses aren't definite so please can someone tell me what they did to revise?
I did Maths GCSE a very long time ago, but I've done the A-Level recently so here's what I did.
Past papers. They are the key to being good at maths, for the most part. Practice full papers - if you run out of time, continue in a different colour pen so you can see how much you know versus how much you did in the time. That way you can better manage your time.

Focus on the areas you know the least! There will be plenty of resources, whether that be stuff from your teacher, textbook, or online, that provide plenty of topic-specific questions. Do them over and over and over until you know them back to front.

If you really struggle with long, worded questions then start each question by identifying what area of maths you're looking at. This can make the question less daunting. Break down the process into steps, and lay them out clearly (e.g. for solving a quadratic, it could be 1. identify a, b and c 2. plug them into the equation 3. solve for x). If you always have the same process you follow, it'll be easier as you won't have to panic in the exam.

If you're in a rush and don't have time to revise everything, revise algebraic manipulation (solving quadratics etc), and trigonometry. These are big topics on the paper and by getting these down you'll get lots of marks.

Make sure you read the question correctly! don't forget a negative, or move a decimal place! highlight important parts of the question if this helps.

Learn your circle theorems! Memorise what you're looking out for, and what they mean (e.g. cyclic quadrilateral means that opposite angles total 180 degrees). Practise these lots, as the only good way you'll get good at spotting them is if you practise.

Best of luck (:
username5395306
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Matsh is one subject that u have to do orctsie questions, ideally defrostmaths
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Aleena123456789)
Corbett maths is a really good website to check.
Thank you Aleena, that's really helpful
RemiABI
Rep:
?
(Original post by RemiABI)
thank you everyone for the help, its been really useful. I will definitely follow the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.43%
I'm not sure (32)
4.34%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.21%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.31%
I'm not a current university student (359)
48.71%

Watched Threads