mattss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello SFE,

I have been trying for months to get an answer to my situation but it is proving quite difficult as I appear to have almost unique circumstances.

I studied a Foundation Degree in Science (FdSc) from 2011-2014 as part of my employer funded training. This means that I only took a maintenance loan from SFE for the 3 years and no tuition fee loan.

I graduated with only a Foundation degree (FdSc) and this is the highest qualification hold (Level 5). This September, I enrolled on a Distance Learning Master's course (MSc). I applied for a was granted a Post Graduate study loan from SFE for this year and I am currently studying my first module.

My question is am I eligible to apply for full student finance for my fees and maintenance for the full 3 years to return to university full time to study a BSc (Hons) in Paramedic Science as it is a AHP course? It will be my first level 6 qualification as I do not hold anything above level 5. Will I be exempt from the ELQ rules and will the fact I have started studying an online MSc affect me even though I do not hold the qualification and will have only completed a few modules?

Many thanks for your help!
Matt
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mattss)
Hello SFE,

I have been trying for months to get an answer to my situation but it is proving quite difficult as I appear to have almost unique circumstances.

I studied a Foundation Degree in Science (FdSc) from 2011-2014 as part of my employer funded training. This means that I only took a maintenance loan from SFE for the 3 years and no tuition fee loan.

I graduated with only a Foundation degree (FdSc) and this is the highest qualification hold (Level 5). This September, I enrolled on a Distance Learning Master's course (MSc). I applied for a was granted a Post Graduate study loan from SFE for this year and I am currently studying my first module.

My question is am I eligible to apply for full student finance for my fees and maintenance for the full 3 years to return to university full time to study a BSc (Hons) in Paramedic Science as it is a AHP course? It will be my first level 6 qualification as I do not hold anything above level 5. Will I be exempt from the ELQ rules and will the fact I have started studying an online MSc affect me even though I do not hold the qualification and will have only completed a few modules?

Many thanks for your help!
Matt
Hi, Paramedicine is now an AHP course but it's not an exception course unless you will be receiving funding from the Ambulance Service Trust. If you are not receiving AST funding then your previous study will affect your eligibility.

Thanks, Isaac
mattss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, Paramedicine is now an AHP course but it's not an exception course unless you will be receiving funding from the Ambulance Service Trust. If you are not receiving AST funding then your previous study will affect your eligibility.

Thanks, Isaac
Thanks Isaac,

If I am successful in gaining a Paramedic Degree Apprenticeship from an AST, will be be eligible for full maintenance loan funding for the 3 years of training, as well as the £5000 bursary from the NHS?

Also, just one more question, I only owe about £2000 left on my undergraduate loan. Once I have paid this off my loan will be cleared. Can you confirm that I will be able to then apply again for student finance for an undergraduate course again if I have no outstanding undergraduate loan from SFE as it has all been paid off?

Thanks,
Matt
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mattss)
Thanks Isaac,

If I am successful in gaining a Paramedic Degree Apprenticeship from an AST, will be be eligible for full maintenance loan funding for the 3 years of training, as well as the £5000 bursary from the NHS?

Also, just one more question, I only owe about £2000 left on my undergraduate loan. Once I have paid this off my loan will be cleared. Can you confirm that I will be able to then apply again for student finance for an undergraduate course again if I have no outstanding undergraduate loan from SFE as it has all been paid off?

Thanks,
Matt
Regarding the funding, it depends if you will be receiving non means or means tested AST funding.

Here is the information from our guidance:

-If the student is awarded non-means tested funding by the Ambulance Service Trust under Section 63 of the Health Services and Public Health Act, 1968, then it is equivalent to a Non-Means Tested NHS Bursary and therefore the student is ineligible for SFE support.
-If the student is awarded means tested funding by the Ambulance Service Trust under Section 63 of the Health Services and Public Health Act, 1968, then it is equivalent to an Income Assessed NHS Bursary and the student is entitled to a reduced rate Maintenance Loan only from SFE.
-If the student is awarded funding outside of the above regulation then they are eligible for SFE support, however the Ambulance Service Trust may still pay the students tuition fees.
-If the student is not eligible to apply for any funding from the the Ambulance Service Trust they are entitled to full SFE support
-If the student is in receipt of a means tested bursary then the student would be classed as being on an exception course.
-If the student is not in receipt of a means tested bursary then the standard ELQ and previous study rules apply.
Paramedic courses* do not qualify for the previous study exemption under the Student Support Regulations
*The NHS do class paramedic courses as an AHP but this doesn't qualify for the previous study exemption with SFE.

Your previous course repayment balance wouldn't stop you getting funding unless you are behind on repayments.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15.49%
I'm not sure (11)
2.99%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (127)
34.51%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (167)
45.38%

Watched Threads