The Student Room Group

Demotivation

I have always wanted to be able to drive for my whole life but it just really hurt again when my driving instructor told me that I basically implied that I might not get my driving licence and that really did put me down for days. I was constantly having bad driving which was demotivating me but to be told that I won’t achieve what I wanted for so long did **** me up. Having bad driving lessons alone was putting me down because driving is something I have always wanted to do my whole life and all the time I was worried about not being able to drive and then that instructor saying it did ruin me. I was down at night, I couldn’t eat at some points and I couldn’t sleep. I think not being able to drive would make my life a whole lot harder because it would demotivate me long term when everyone around you can do it but you can’t and it’s just so much harder to do your daily duties like going to work or shopping or when you have kids.

I hate saying it but I did have a few thoughts of maybe life isn’t worth it anymore the few days after the instructor said that I might not make it. It sounds stupid but driving meant everything to me, I have been into cars and had the passion for them for as long as I can remember so having that said to me ****ed me up big time.
how long u been driving
Reply 2
Original post by sundayblues
how long u been driving

I started in summer 2018 learning with a manual instructor but he I changed just because he was shouting a bit then I changed to another manual one last year but struggled with him and he said that comment that I might not make it. I then changed to automatic with my current instructor, I’ve been learning since 2018 but I have had a few gaps because my current instructor wanted me to pass my theory so stopped lessons until I passed which was a few months
i changed to automatic bc i found manual impossible, and i found it much easier. i've only had two lessons and my instructor wants me to book my driving test :s-smilie: what about driving specifically can you not do?
Reply 4
i changed to automatic bc i found manual impossible, and i found it much easier. i've only had two lessons and my instructor wants me to book my driving test :s-smilie: what about driving specifically can you not do?

I just couldn’t multitask on changing gears and everything else you have to think when driving. I’d miss gear changes or change into the wrong gear. Automatic is the future though anyway
Original post by Anonymous
I just couldn’t multitask on changing gears and everything else you have to think when driving. I’d miss gear changes or change into the wrong gear. Automatic is the future though anyway

so can you drive automatics fine?
Reply 6
so can you drive automatics fine?

Yes
Original post by Anonymous
Yes

so why have u made this thread
Reply 8
so why have u made this thread

I wanted to get this off my chest, although I can drive an auto unfortunately I failed my first test at the star of this month so I am still demotivated with that
Reply 9
Don’t be so hard on yourself. You’re putting way too much emphasis on learning to drive. I can totally relate to how you’re feeling as I failed my driving test 4 times and eventually passed on the 5th attempt. I know the feeling of your friends and peer passing their test before you despite fewer lessons and how dehumanizing it can be when the examiner says you’ve failed. Have faith though. I thought, like you, I would never get my driving license and I would be destined to use public transport forever but thankfully I was wrong. You failed one test - most people fail their driving test the first time so don’t beat yourself so much about it. I know you’ve been learning for so long but just keep at it and you will get there. It took me from the age of 17 to the age of 21 to pass my test! Are your parents paying for your lessons? I understand from personal experience that it just adds even more pressure to pass.

From what I can see - you’re already learning in an automatic which is great as that removes a layer of anxiety for you. Can your parents help? Do you enjoy your lessons? What’s your instructor like? Does your instructor give you constructive feedback at the end of your lessons telling you how to improve? If so - keep persevering and you will get there. Your confidence doesn’t sound the greatest and I was the same. You need to start changing your mindset and outlook on driving. Tell yourself I can do it and I will pass my test - it doesn’t matter how long it takes. I will do it! It’s ok to feel sad about it but don’t let it deter you from learning. Drive as much as you can. Go on unfamiliar routes to help build your confidence. Good luck.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest