The Student Room Group

Was I right to call the police on my mum for this?

Scroll to see replies

Ur an adult. Just move out.
Reply 21
Original post by 999tigger
Did you take the number or name of the officer attending?
How old are you and do you have any chance of leaving in the near future?
If she is that much of a threat then you need to think about either you moving out or her asking you to leave?
I doubt its the first domestic violence incident the officer has visited.

Yes I have the names of both of them.

I'm 19, I could ask one of my friends if I can stay at their house.
You did the right thing.
Reply 23
Original post by onceuponatime1
Do you live in London? I am also 19 and going to start university in a few weeks. If need be, you are welcome to stay over at my accommodation for a few nights if you cannot find a place for now. There will also be females at my accommodation place, and so I can ask them to let them stay with you given your situation. Right now, you need to sort out all of your things. Every single letter you have received needs to be with you. Your passport, national insurance letter, driving licence and any thing in your name has to be with you. Get a suitcase and start packing slowly. You need essentials like clothing and basic oral care, skin care and body care. If you need any help with knowing what to pack and take with you, then I am completely happy to help. I am also in the same position as you, but to a much, much greater severity in terms of domestic abuse. Nonetheless, I am doing the right thing in moving out.

I'm in London yes.

I'm so sorry that you are going through the same.

My mum has my passport.

PM and we can talk more,.

Thank you so so much xx
Reply 24
Original post by heyitsyaboy1
Ur an adult. Just move out.

I'm trying to
Original post by Amy9754
I'm trying to

Imo i wouldnt say what she did was police worthy but dont let things like that slide.
Reply 26
Original post by Amy9754
My mum did most of the talking to them and tried to spin what happened so she wouldn't get into trouble.

Next time, audio record.
Original post by Amy9754
Yes I have the names of both of them.

I'm 19, I could ask one of my friends if I can stay at their house.

Do you intend to go to uni?
Would you prefer to move out?
Are you prepared or ready for having no relationship with your mum?
Shame you arent 18 as the council have to help you then.

The fact that things can fall apart because you go and work in a shop whose prices she disagrees with sounds very silly. I cant imagine which shop would be so controversial, sounds bonkers.
Reply 28
Original post by Asknoob
Next time, audio record.

Audio record what?
Reply 29
Original post by 999tigger
Do you intend to go to uni?
Would you prefer to move out?
Are you prepared or ready for having no relationship with your mum?
Shame you arent 18 as the council have to help you then.

The fact that things can fall apart because you go and work in a shop whose prices she disagrees with sounds very silly. I cant imagine which shop would be so controversial, sounds bonkers.

Not yet.

I would prefer to move away from my mum.
Reply 30
Original post by Amy9754
Audio record what?

Your beating. Police will hear screams and they will arrest
Reply 31
Original post by Asknoob
Your beating. Police will hear screams and they will arrest

Ok
Original post by Amy9754
Not yet.

I would prefer to move away from my mum.

Is the job full time? The challenge is to get a stable enough job so you can save money and then leave.

You have to consider the possibility that she could get worse because of the police (it was the right thing to do) or she could ask you to leave. I dont know how volatile or how poor your relationship is.
Try and keep a low profile.
You might want to pack an emergency bag just in case anything is sudden.
You can still try and contact the homeless team, at the council if you feel you are under threat of being thrown out.
Original post by Amy9754
She was screaming at me because I wouldn't do what she wanted. I'm 19. She wanted me to turn down a job because she doesn't like the company.
She then grabbed me and hit me once, she called it a "light touch", I was scared. I probably should have called 101 but I was scared and 999 was the first thing I thought of.

I think you were perfectly justified to call the police. If you rang 101, they would've told you to ring 999 tbh. She was being abusive towards you and I'm sorry that she was. I hope you get to move out one day soon to get away from that behaviour, you don't deserve that.
Reply 34
Original post by Amy9754
My mum did most of the talking to them and tried to spin what happened so she wouldn't get into trouble.

Did they not talk to you alone?
Don't do that to your mum.
Reply 36
Original post by Amy9754
Yes and her reason was that she personally doesn't like the company, thinks they are overpriced.

This sounds very strange.

What kind of products does this company sell?

If you have a firm job offer, this should mean that you will have a salary soon and will be able to pay rent on perhaps a room in a shared flat.
Reply 37
Original post by 2500_2
Did they not talk to you alone?

Something about that doesn’t ring true. If OP called them then they wouldn’t have allowed the mother to lead the conversation about what happened.
Do you have a father? I'm not surprised if not, all the statistics show single mother children end up doing worse off in all sorts of stuff.

Only you know if she is actually abusive or if she had an angry moment. But don't be fooled into believing that the police are serving some common good or will make this any better. The police isn't a cure; getting the state involved always makes things messy.

I would really try to salvage your relationship with your mother if you can. Obviously if she is ACTUALLY seriously physically abusing you that is different, but only you know if that's true. But you will thank yourself in the future for having the maturity to maintain some sort of relationship with your mother even she seems mean.
Reply 39
Original post by Bio 7
Something about that doesn’t ring true. If OP called them then they wouldn’t have allowed the mother to lead the conversation about what happened.

Certainly if this happened as described and they didn't talk to her alone, she should follow it up with the attending police to give a victim statement which will otherwise be missing from the incident report.
She could also make a complaint that the situation wasn't managed following police domestic abuse training and processes as it should have been.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending