joonigigi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello everyone,
I'm a student currently in Y11 and I'm kinda stressing about my A level choices.
I really want to take Further Maths but I'm worried it's going to be too much to handle.
I sat my maths GCSE early and got myself a grade 9 already. I also have a grade 9 in English, Geography,History,RS,ICT and an 8 in Spanish. My school requirement is Grade 9 at GCSE (I already have this) and this year I'm taking further maths and additional maths GCSEs. I want to definitely take English Lit and History at A level but maybe also maths and further maths? I want to go into Law but maths is my fav subject. I don't know why I'm stressing I'm really good at maths and getting a 9 early is super impressive but I still don't know if I should pick it. My friends are putting me off by saying it's really hard and I should focus on essay based subjects.
I WANT to take it but I think I'm just not confident I'll do well
RebeccaB_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heya! If you want to take further maths just go for it. If you’re taking four you can always drop it if it gets too much and you’re obviously more than capable of at least giving it a shot. A friend of mine does it and he says it’s hard work but really satisfying and he enjoys it a lot more than a level maths just because of the extra depth and difficulty. Don’t listen to friends putting you off and go with your heart
lollolokjob
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RebeccaB_x)
Heya! If you want to take further maths just go for it. If you’re taking four you can always drop it if it gets too much and you’re obviously more than capable of at least giving it a shot. A friend of mine does it and he says it’s hard work but really satisfying and he enjoys it a lot more than a level maths just because of the extra depth and difficulty. Don’t listen to friends putting you off and go with your heart
THIS! Just try it for a while. A few months and I'm sure you can drop the subject if it becomes too much.
m1mii
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would definitely go with what you enjoy. If you enjoy the subject, you're more likely to do well in it, and you're also going to be more excited to do it. You don't want to spend 2 years dong a subject you dread going to the lessons of.
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by joonigigi)
I don't know why I'm stressing I'm really good at maths and getting a 9 early is super impressive but I still don't know if I should pick it. My friends are putting me off by saying it's really hard and I should focus on essay based subjects.
I WANT to take it but I think I'm just not confident I'll do well
Don't let your friends put you off it... all a levels are hard... your friends haven't even taken furthermaths or any a levels so how would they know lol
It sounds like you really enjoy maths and thats what will make you do well in furthermaths trust me

You are 100% capable of it... you got a 9 early and you are taking furthermaths and additional maths gcse - thats more than anyone I know who's taking further maths (including myself lol).

I take furthermaths and I was so nervous at first because im not the best at maths in my school but after I got used to it and I dont regret it at all! Yes its challenging but I find it more enjoyable than normal maths a level and it also allows me to apply for more competitive uni courses that prefer furthermaths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads