idkwhatoput
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in year 12 and i take maths chem and bio. I am considering changing maths for physics though because i enjoy physics more. Maths is edexcel and physics is aqa. i'm probably about the same ability wise.
To those of you who take physics:
Is it harder than Maths? If so, how hard and how difficult would it be to get an A/A*?
Would it be too much to take 3 sciences?
Which one requires more work, physics or maths?
Emily~3695
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by idkwhatoput)
I am currently in year 12 and i take maths chem and bio. I am considering changing maths for physics though because i enjoy physics more. Maths is edexcel and physics is aqa. i'm probably about the same ability wise.
Is it harder than Maths? If so, how hard and how difficult would it be to get an A/A*?
I do maths further maths physics and chem, physics is harder than maths and a lot of what we’re doing in maths at the start of year 12 is only slightly harder than gcse. I think physics will require more work especially without maths. Although, the maths in physics isn’t that hard the only thing beyond gcse is logarithms which isn’t too hard. Physics is a really interesting subject (I wanna study it at uni so im probably a bit biased tho 😂) but it is hard. Doing 3 sciences isn’t impossible but it is hard. At my school the highest anyone who has done physics without maths has got is a B whereas in maths loads of people get a/A* without physics so maybe bear that in mind. Another alternative would be to do 4 for now and drop whichever you’re worse at. In the end It is your decision but hope this helps 😊
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you want to do after A-levels?
heinz_fan
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As someone who has taken both A Level Maths and Physics, I can very confidently say that Physics is not just the hardest out of the two of them, it is the hardest A Level. I know this because I got a 9 in Physics back in GCSE but I found A Level Physics very, very hard and ended up with a B at the end of my A Levels.

A Level Physics is by far the hardest STEM subject and no-one can say otherwise.
idkwhatoput
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
What do you want to do after A-levels?
Dentstry- so getting top grades is a priority
idkwhatoput
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily~3695)
I do maths further maths physics and chem, physics is harder than maths and a lot of what we’re doing in maths at the start of year 12 is only slightly harder than gcse. I think physics will require more work especially without maths. Although, the maths in physics isn’t that hard the only thing beyond gcse is logarithms which isn’t too hard. Physics is a really interesting subject (I wanna study it at uni so im probably a bit biased tho 😂) but it is hard. Doing 3 sciences isn’t impossible but it is hard. At my school the highest anyone who has done physics without maths has got is a B whereas in maths loads of people get a/A* without physics so maybe bear that in mind. Another alternative would be to do 4 for now and drop whichever you’re worse at. In the end It is your decision but hope this helps 😊
Thanks for the reply, I could never do 4 lol it would just compromise the others and yh i was thinking the same thing about doing physics without maths. I did do further maths at gcse tho so that might help
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Dentstry- so getting top grades is a priority
In which case i would go with the subject you enjoy more. I personally found maths A-level easier but I think ultimately a lot of it is unique to the individual.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those are a lot questions. The physics lessons and the maths part in were easier than mathematics at A levels. In physics you have more reference to science in calculations at A levels, in mathematics it is theory-loaded. Arguments for physics in my opinion.

Both are tough subjects at A levels to get these grades anyway. You said that you enjoy physics more, if so, take that. Such an attitude to a subject turns mostly the scale. And no, it is not too much to take three sciences for A levels.

The last question is up to you. The more pleasure you have for a subject, the lesser efffort you need to get on with the lessons. The range of those is almost equal.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.23%
I'm not sure (59)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (380)
29.39%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.86%
I'm not a current university student (633)
48.96%

Watched Threads