jessxann
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
no idea if anyone has ever experienced anything similar to this but my parents are 1000% against me going to uni. I want to study accounting but even bringing up the word uni breaks out into an argument. my sixth form have said they will have a meeting with them if needed but I have a feeling they'll be even more mad at me for involving the teachers in it. it's making me really distracted and I feel like there's no point in me carrying on with my alevels if I can't even do what I want to. any help is appreciated!
ważzer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it's your choice, at 18 you don't need parent's permission for anything
KelsieTaylor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you know why they won't let you go?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, why? Secondly, complete your A Levels as no matter what you end up doing, you'll be better off for having them on your C.V.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are 18, it will be your choice what you do.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jessxann)
no idea if anyone has ever experienced anything similar to this but my parents are 1000% against me going to uni. I want to study accounting but even bringing up the word uni breaks out into an argument. my sixth form have said they will have a meeting with them if needed but I have a feeling they'll be even more mad at me for involving the teachers in it. it's making me really distracted and I feel like there's no point in me carrying on with my alevels if I can't even do what I want to. any help is appreciated!
Your sixth form are more likely to change their mind - we've done this before. Why are they against it?
jessxann
Rep:
?
The reccuring questions I keep getting are why? And the honest answer to that is I have no idea, they've said that it'll be a waste of my time and too expensive but they're not proper reasons for not letting me go.Also, I know I'll be 18 but I don't really want to cause any more drama if I just go and apply without their knowledge if that makes sense. thankyou all!
Agent456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why on earth would your parents not let you go uni?
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you're 18 you can do whatever you want
your parents are being quite silly tbh
m.s124
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The reccuring questions I keep getting are why? And the honest answer to that is I have no idea, they've said that it'll be a waste of my time and too expensive but they're not proper reasons for not letting me go.Also, I know I'll be 18 but I don't really want to cause any more drama if I just go and apply without their knowledge if that makes sense. thankyou all!
If you dont go to uni and you listen to them then you will go into accounting
is that what you really want to do?

Apply to uni, say the school makes it compulsory to apply to uni as a backup and everyone has to go through the ucas process just in case. Apply for the course you want to do. Then just focus on your a levels as they are important whether you go to uni or not

Then once you have your a levels done and uni offers decide what you think will be best for you
If its uni, then thats your choice. Your parents are not paying for you to go to uni. It's all you and so they shouldn't be the deciding factor.
You're not wasting time if your doing a course you like. During uni you can become more employable by doing internships and you have a degree which most jobs require you to have.
dylvn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that can’t be it tbh, if your parents aren’t letting u go to uni, there should be a decent reason for it. If you actually wanna go to uni and u think that your parents are just wrong then you will have to involve your teachers.
I saw you say that you don’t want drama, but there’s really no other option, you can’t slide out of everything sometimes drama isn’t a choice. Try your best to talk to ur parents about it and if you have to, get your teachers involved because your parents are just ruining your career and your life then.
jessxann
Rep:
?
thankyou all so much! things definitely aren't gonna get better any time soon but I hope we can eventually change their minds
jessxann
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
lil update - my dad had a meeting on Friday but tbh i don't really know what was said so I'm waiting until i go in tomorrow to find out from the teachers. no doubt I've probably done something wrong in all of this but yeah. hopefully things get better soon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (177)
14.41%
I'm not sure (56)
4.56%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (362)
29.48%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.85%
I'm not a current university student (598)
48.7%

Watched Threads