The Student Room Group

Differential equations help!

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/maths_ch7_5_q5?board=d5187ecf-0f18-4b25-82d1-73c31f67f288
2D0C5BF4-ED5F-4623-B2F3-97BEC55ADD17.jpg
I’m so lost, I haven’t a clue of where to start. There are so many variables and I haven’t a clue what each means.
Reply 1
Original post by Jsmithx
https://isaacphysics.org/questions/maths_ch7_5_q5?board=d5187ecf-0f18-4b25-82d1-73c31f67f288
2D0C5BF4-ED5F-4623-B2F3-97BEC55ADD17.jpg
I’m so lost, I haven’t a clue of where to start. There are so many variables and I haven’t a clue what each means.

What are the original equations you're starting with? This looks just like a change of variable and (possible) application of the chain rule.
Original post by Jsmithx

For the number of weed ff, the rate at which it changes over time tt is given by

dfdt=afa1cf\dfrac{df}{dt} = af - a_1 cf

where cc is the number of grass carp which predate upon this grass. The constant a>0a>0 denotes the rate at which the weed grows. More weed means more growth. The second term a1cf-a_1 cf describes the rate of 'death' for this weed. It depends on the constant a1a_1, and effectively the number of predators cc, as well as the number of weed ff.

Note that if cc increases, it means more predators about hence a decrease in weed growth. Also, if ff increases, weeds compete against each other for nutrients. So the entire negative effect cfcf is bunched up into one term.

For the carps, the ODE is

dcdt=bcfb1c\dfrac{dc}{dt} = b cf - b_1 c

where b,b1b,b_1 are constants of growth and death respectively.

Currently, these models are dimensional. Is the number of weed / carps in hundreds? Thousands? Millions??? Are they densities per some volume of space?

We can bring these models down via a process called non-dimensionalisation whereby we simply scale the variables (in this case f,c,t) in such a way as to eliminate as many constants as possible.

In your link, time is brought down via u=atu=at. This means that we can simply divide our equations through by the constant aa and obtain

dfdu=fa1acf\dfrac{df}{du} = f - \dfrac{a_1}{a} cf

dcdu=bacfb1ac\dfrac{dc}{du} = \dfrac{b}{a} cf - \dfrac{b_1}{a} c

We can also scale f=Azf = A z and c=Byc = B y where A,BA,B are dimensional constants (for us to rewrite in terms of the known constants), and z,yz,y are dimensionless variables.

Substituting these in yields

dzdu=za1Bayz\dfrac{dz}{du} = z - \dfrac{a_1 B}{a} yz

dydu=bAayzb1ay\dfrac{dy}{du} = \dfrac{bA}{a} yz - \dfrac{b_1}{a} y

We can bring the coefficient of yzyz in the first eqn down to 1-1 if we impose that B=aa1B = \dfrac{a}{a_1}.

We can also choose A=abA = \dfrac{a}{b} in order to bring the coefficient of yzyz in the second eqn down to 11.

This leaves us with

dzdu=zyz\dfrac{dz}{du} = z - yz

dydu=yzb1ay\dfrac{dy}{du} = yz - \dfrac{b_1}{a} y

whereby we can combine the ratio b1a\dfrac{b_1}{a} into a single constant β\beta.

Thus, via nondimensionalisation, we have reduced the number of constants in our model down from 4 to only 1. The leftover variables z,y,u do not have any dimensions and can therefore be treated on level ground without having to worry about dimensions and their scaling factors.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
For the number of weed ff, the rate at which it changes over time tt is given by

dfdt=afa1cf\dfrac{df}{dt} = af - a_1 cf

where cc is the number of grass carp which predate upon this grass. The constant a>0a>0 denotes the rate at which the weed grows. More weed means more growth. The second term a1cf-a_1 cf describes the rate of 'death' for this weed. It depends on the constant a1a_1, and effectively the number of predators cc, as well as the number of weed ff.

Note that if cc increases, it means more predators about hence a decrease in weed growth. Also, if ff increases, weeds compete against each other for nutrients. So the entire negative effect cfcf is bunched up into one term.

For the carps, the ODE is

dcdt=bcfb1c\dfrac{dc}{dt} = b cf - b_1 c

where b,b1b,b_1 are constants of growth and death respectively.

Currently, these models are dimensional. Is the number of weed / carps in hundreds? Thousands? Millions??? Are they densities per some volume of space?

We can bring these models down via a process called non-dimensionalisation whereby we simply scale the variables (in this case f,c,t) in such a way as to eliminate as many constants as possible.

In your link, time is brought down via u=atu=at. This means that we can simply divide our equations through by the constant aa and obtain

dfdu=fa1acf\dfrac{df}{du} = f - \dfrac{a_1}{a} cf

dcdu=bacfb1ac\dfrac{dc}{du} = \dfrac{b}{a} cf - \dfrac{b_1}{a} c

We can also scale f=Azf = A z and c=Byc = B y where A,BA,B are dimensional constants (for us to rewrite in terms of the known constants), and z,yz,y are dimensionless variables.

Substituting these in yields

dzdu=za1Bayz\dfrac{dz}{du} = z - \dfrac{a_1 B}{a} yz

dydu=bAayzb1ay\dfrac{dy}{du} = \dfrac{bA}{a} yz - \dfrac{b_1}{a} y

We can bring the coefficient of yzyz in the first eqn down to 1-1 if we impose that B=aa1B = \dfrac{a}{a_1}.

We can also choose A=abA = \dfrac{a}{b} in order to bring the coefficient of yzyz in the second eqn down to 11.

This leaves us with

dzdu=zyz\dfrac{dz}{du} = z - yz

dydu=yzb1ay\dfrac{dy}{du} = yz - \dfrac{b_1}{a} y

whereby we can combine the ratio b1a\dfrac{b_1}{a} into a single constant β\beta.

Thus, via nondimensionalisation, we have reduced the number of constants in our model down from 4 to only 1. The leftover variables z,y,u do not have any dimensions and can therefore be treated on level ground without having to worry about dimensions and their scaling factors.

Brilliant, ur an angel! On part E I think I’ve got the ans but it says the dimensions are wrong. u=at butt u/t isn’t allowed either6D00D8D4-84EA-4990-B448-D35764A4F837.png

Quick Reply

Latest