What does it mean if someone has ‘ she/ her’ in their bio?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’ve just seen someone I know from uni has put this in her bio. I mean it’s blindingly obvious she is a girl- she isn’t a transsexual either so I’m confused as to why she needs to clarify this. I’ve seen other people do it as well...just wondering what it’s about?

Also my parents always told me it’s rude to refer to people as ‘ her’ or ‘ she’ and you should use their name instead ie Ella or Mum etc
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Preferred pronouns.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
To look special and/or 'socially aware' IDK
dicotyledon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is also often done in support of transgender people by cisgendered people (those who identify with what they were born with). If it was only people who were transgender who felt like they had to put their pronouns in their bio, then their identity would be obvious. Therefore anyone can do it, and it is helpful online anyway when people may not be able to tell from your name your gender.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
bio on where? i’m a university student but i don’t have a bio.

it’s weird for someone to be talking about themselves in the third person so i’m trying to envision this bio. lol sorry if it’s a dumb question
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not much to it, its just someone's pronouns. Even if they may be 'obvious' some people just want to :dontknow:
(Original post by Joleee)

it’s weird for someone to be talking about themselves in the third person so i’m trying to envision this bio. lol sorry if it’s a dumb question
I believe the OP means social media bios.
Last edited by LovelyMrFox; 4 weeks ago
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Tbh OP - I don't know either.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)

Bio on their insta
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Preferred pronouns.
Kind of get it but also kind of don’t ( without sounding narrow minded) this girl‘a name is Charlotte and she’s very feminine looking so I’d be shocked if anyone referred to her as ‘ he/ him’...
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Kind of get it but also kind of don’t ( without sounding narrow minded) this girl‘a name is Charlotte and she’s very feminine looking so I’d be shocked if anyone referred to her as ‘ he/ him’...
It’s a show of support for transgender people https://prospect.org.uk/news/why-we-...sing-pronouns/
Callicious
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
To look special and/or 'socially aware' IDK
ITS THE GIF GUY

I’ve just seen someone I know from uni has put this in her bio. I mean it’s blindingly obvious she is a girl- she isn’t a transsexual either so I’m confused as to why she needs to clarify this. I’ve seen other people do it as well...just wondering what it’s about?

Also my parents always told me it’s rude to refer to people as ‘ her’ or ‘ she’ and you should use their name instead ie Ella or Mum etc
Because everyone wants to be chic and that's a way of being chic.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Callicious)
ITS THE GIF GUY

Because everyone wants to be chic and that's a way of being chic.
The man, the myth, and the legend, correct.
Siannyallen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know a Charlotte who's preferred pronouns are they/them, so even if someone has a girl's name and looks feminine, they might prefer to be referred to by different pronouns
Joleee
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
Not much to it, its just someone's pronouns. Even if they may be 'obvious' some people just want to :dontknow:

I believe the OP means social media bios.
Bio on their insta
oh ok thank you. i don’t do social media at all; thought maybe it was a bio for a student society or a bio on blackboard chat (if there is such a thing idk).

i have never read an Instagram bio so don’t know what it’s supposed to read like, but i wouldn’t assume there was any deep meaning behind it, unless on a bio page they ask you for your pronoun; still most women use ‘she’ by default. but yeah, still think it’s weird to talk about yourself third person like that and sounds poorly written.
Last edited by Joleee; 4 weeks ago
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's simply making things easy and simple for others and to avoid anyone risking offence with misgendering - even with someone who blatantly presents as one gender, it's still a useful thing to do.
Moonlight rain
Badges: 21
Report 4 weeks ago
It should only be used for by trans people but whatever
Last edited by Moonlight rain; 4 weeks ago
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Probably to show they support LGBTQ people without actually being LGBTQ? Idk why they would do that though tbh.
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's their preferred pronoun or something like that. Tbh idrk the meaning.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Moonlight rain)
It should only be used for by trans people but whatever
I think I agree here
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think I agree here
The idea is to make it more normalised, so those who are trans don't feel so alienated by having to explain their pronouns - if everyone, including cis people, already stated their own pronouns, they'd be less confusion and focus on pronouns in general. It would basically just be more normal rather than assuming someone's gender.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.13%
I'm not sure (26)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.63%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.12%
I'm not a current university student (269)
47.53%

Watched Threads