Grad Jobs with accounting and finance degree

Watch
Shah99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey, what are alternative career paths (not tax/assurance etc) for a person who's got a A&F degree?
KaptainCliff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Actuary
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Actually, almost anything .... better if you go talk to your career advisors since which may be more helpful than just a few suggestions from TSR without knowing your interests and aptitude.
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not interested in either tax or other accounting branches either, but I've looked up actuarial work and data analyst so far, and I've managed to get past a few stages of application already. it's how you sell your experience in certain modules. I've done one data analysis module and I go off that a lot rather than my accounting and finance modules
Shah99
Rep:
?
(Original post by KaptainCliff)
Actuary
thanks
Shah99
Rep:
?
(Original post by KaptainCliff)
Actuary
What actually is actuary? professional qualification exams seem hard as well
KaptainCliff
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Shah99)
What actually is actuary? professional qualification exams seem hard as well
An actuary is a business professional that uses maths to measure and manage risk and uncertainty. Actuaries are mostly - but by no means exclusively - employed in the pensions, life insurance, general insurance and investment sectors. Other less common areas actuaries work in are resources and environment, whereby actuaries use maths to forecast how, say, oil consumption will change in the future and how global supply will impact upon that consumption. It really is quite a varied profession.

I'm a trainee actuary in pensions. At face value you might think it's just about crunching numbers, but actually we're managing risk in being able to deliver someone their retirement benefits in 40 years time. You need to take into account inflation and how that may change, mortality and changing life expectancies, how investments will develop to meet the liabilities of paying annuities in retirement, etc.

The exams are tough going, especially when working a full time job too, but the rewards are very generous. There's a shortage of actuaries and it's an expanding job market, so companies offer good reward packages - high pay, annual bonuses, profit sharing, private health insurance, other perks.
Last edited by KaptainCliff; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed