What do you need to get into a good uni?

Watch
pratikstalin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is the a level entry requirements enough or do you need like loads and loads of extra curricular with a sophisticated sounding cv. Also say you do have the a level entry requirement's for a good uni and a decent cv do they still look at the gcse grades.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Each uni has their own admissions requirements that usually vary according to the course and sometimes the applicants age.
Some uni's do ask for specific grades or passes at gcse as part of their entrance requirements.
Almost all uni's want a positive reference, strong personal statement and some extra-curricular activities in addition to meeting formal academic criteria.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by pratikstalin)
Is the a level entry requirements enough or do you need like loads and loads of extra curricular with a sophisticated sounding cv. Also say you do have the a level entry requirement's for a good uni and a decent cv do they still look at the gcse grades.
I would say the entry requirements and a good personal statement is usually enough to get into a university. A high end university may expect more or look at other things as desirable but it's good to check with the uni or current students at the uni you want to attend.
xsowmix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what course do you want to do? most unis are looking at supercurriculars more than extracurriculars. e.g. what are you doing to go out of your way to learn more about your subject that you want to do at uni? it could be reading a book, work experience, running a society related to that subject but definitely dash a few extra curricular activities.
pratikstalin
Rep:
?
but say you got the a level entry requirements for a good uni are you then guaranteed a place in the uni or not

also

how long does it take to make a good personal statement also do you need loads of extra curricular things on a personal statement to make it good. Like what makes a personal statement good what do you have to put in it.
Last edited by pratikstalin; 4 weeks ago
moonpig79
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
but say you got the a level entry requirements for a good uni are you then guaranteed a place in the uni or not
it depends where you want to go
xsowmix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
not necessarily it totally depends on the competition of that course. unis look at your personal statement and gcses grades and contextual information so not really.
pratikstalin
Rep:
?
i am not looking into competitive medicine or law courses or oxbridge but like maybe engineering or computer science or maybe even a physics course so would i still need overall good gcses or just the entry a levels and a good personal statement
Last edited by pratikstalin; 4 weeks ago
xsowmix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

also

how long does it take to make a good personal statement also do you need loads of extra curricular things on a personal statement to make it good. Like what makes a personal statement good what do you have to put in it.
do you have an idea what course and unis you want to do? If you do, I can help you specifically for that course and unis cos your personal statement needs to be tailored to that course(s)
xsowmix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i am not looking into competitive medicine or law courses or oxbridge but like maybe engineering or computer science or maybe even a physics course so what about now
Have you done any work experience? Have you attended any lectures or watched any seminars that interest you? What are the reasons you want to get into the STEM field?

You shouldn't include a lot about extra curricular but try to link those activities to skills that will make you suitable for that course.
Last edited by xsowmix; 4 weeks ago
pratikstalin
Rep:
?
(Original post by xsowmix)
Have you done any work experience? Have you attended any lectures or watched any seminars that interest you? What are the reasons you want to get into the STEM field?

You shouldn't include a lot about extra curricular but try to link those activities to skills that will make you suitable for that course.
ok thx also i dont really know yet what i want to do at uni but i took maths physics and chem a levels.
xsowmix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ok thx also i dont really know yet what i want to do at uni but i took maths physics and chem a levels.
You have a lot of time to decide. In my opinion you should have a good idea by November so you have a good amount of time to write your personal statement.
pratikstalin
Rep:
?
You have a lot of time to decide. In my opinion you should have a good idea by November so you have a good amount of time to write your personal statement.
oh but im in year 12 so do i need that long to write it
xsowmix
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh but im in year 12 so do i need that long to write it
oh sorry i assumed you were in year 13. if you're not applying to oxbridge, you should have a good idea by next november. i would focus on getting the best predicted grades as you can at the moment and worry about all of this this time next year.
pratikstalin
Rep:
?
oh sorry i assumed you were in year 13. if you're not applying to oxbridge, you should have a good idea by next november. i would focus on getting the best predicted grades as you can at the moment and worry about all of this this time next year.
ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
14.69%
I'm not sure (14)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (132)
34.02%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.55%
I'm not a current university student (179)
46.13%

Watched Threads