The Student Room Group

Can I get into a russell group uni for maths without further maths a level?

I study maths, history and physics for reference. Didn't know what I wanted to study in year 12 so kept my subjects broad but decided on maths in lockdown. It was offered at my college but for the above reason, I didn't take it. Anyone do a maths degree without further maths? I'm not planning on going to Oxbridge, don't worry!
Original post by stillcrying
I study maths, history and physics for reference. Didn't know what I wanted to study in year 12 so kept my subjects broad but decided on maths in lockdown. It was offered at my college but for the above reason, I didn't take it. Anyone do a maths degree without further maths? I'm not planning on going to Oxbridge, don't worry!

Depends on the individual uni, but I think most are fine without it. I know my university, Bristol, is absolutely fine with people having not done further maths, and many of my friends haven't. The course starts by getting everyone to the same level.
Original post by DoNotMove
Depends on the individual uni, but I think most are fine without it. I know my university, Bristol, is absolutely fine with people having not done further maths, and many of my friends haven't. The course starts by getting everyone to the same level.

That’s good to hear thank you! :smile:
Reply 3

I did Maths at Birmingham and had an AS in Further Maths. Some people definitely hadn't done any further maths at all, we just ended up finding parts of first year more difficult than those who had done Further Maths to A2.
I would assume that most unis would be fine with it, but it might be worth looking over some of the further maths content in the summer after Y13 to prep yourself!
Original post by DoNotMove

Now knowing that makes me feel so much better about applying to uni - I'm doing a level maths, cs, and art and had to drop further maths because the amount of time I spent on it clashed with everything and a disability got in the way of it just being counterproductive to my other subjects. Really hoping to aim for high grades and do computer science and maths at Southampton though!
Original post by ABrightonRose
Now knowing that makes me feel so much better about applying to uni - I'm doing a level maths, cs, and art and had to drop further maths because the amount of time I spent on it clashed with everything and a disability got in the way of it just being counterproductive to my other subjects. Really hoping to aim for high grades and do computer science and maths at Southampton though!

I forgot that I made this thread but I have offers from all my universities for maths so no doubt you'll get offers for computer science & maths :smile:
Reply 6

Hey, I want to study maths too. There are loads of good universities that don't need further maths. Like Bath (I know it's not Russel group but it is ranked really high) give you a higher offer (with step/mat/tmua etc) if you don't do further maths. So you'll definitely have options :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest