HxTrinity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am doing the Spanish GCSE AQA at the end of next year and I wanna improve.

One of the ways I thought was getting to read some Spanish Books but I don't know any which are at the GCSE Standard.

I don't wanna read a whole Spanish Chapter Book as the language used in that will be well above GCSE.

Any Recomendations for Spanish Books which are at GCSE Level? And I'm not talking revision books, like novels and stuff like that
Advertisement
Native087
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Start with films/tv if you can. We were recommended to do little things like change the commentary on fifa to Spanish.
I don't know if these are your types but programs like: Money Heist, Queen of the South and Narcos will all help improve your Spanish a lot.
They help understand pronunciation as well as informal terms used.

Sorry I don't read books.

Good luck
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Personally, I didn't read any books in Spanish to prep for my GCSE but I would say that it might be a shout to read a translation of an English book into Spanish? For example, if you really enjoyed reading 'The Hunger Games', read it in Spanish! If you do this then you'll probably know some of the vocab/action that's occurring anyway (if you're an avid reader like me!) so it should be a little easier.
Advertisement
kp07l
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi, i'm bilingual and i did spanish gcse reading spanish books is a really great way to prep for it. and you're right, Spanish language books (especially the famous ones by people like García Márquez - do not start by reading 100 years of solitude!!!) are way above your level. I totally 100% recommend TheHistoryNerd_ 's advice. Find a translation of an english book you already know well. I personally did this with Harry Potter - the first book is short, i'd read it in english, and i'd also seen the movie so i knew the plot inside out and that way i was able to focus purely on the language. you may want to have a spanish dictionary or english copy of the book on hand to check you're understanding everything though.
other recs i have-
1. any other books you've read in english, know and enjoyed, especially if they're short;
2. side-to-side "parallel texts" have the spanish one one side of the page then english on the other, so you can read the spanish and check your comprehension against the english (or the other way round) examples here https://www.speakinglatino.com/paral...ks-in-spanish/
3. once you're a little more advanced you can search for intermediate level novels. One short novel which was my a level set text is Como agua para chocolate by Laura Esquivel, it's a good introduction to more advanced spanish literature although you may find it hard due to novel/Mexican slang vocabulary.

Good luck at gcse!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (174)
14.51%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.19%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (584)
48.71%

Watched Threads