AQA A Level History - How do you answer an "assess the value of the source" question?

Watch this thread
Clauxery373277
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need help on answering History exam questions that's the one thing I really struggle on. I have to prepare for a test soon so please can someone let me know how to answer an assess the value of the source question.

So basically tell me what I would need to write about for each paragraph. E.g. If I'm writing an introduction how would I start it off. Do I go straight into writing how it's valuable after the introduction or is there more things I need to include and how do I conclude it.
Native087
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Introduce the source with the information given in the content.
Is there a date?
Is there an author?
Contextual knowledge can be briefly included in this introduction, but do not go into detail.
For example, a source written by Charles V, describe him as being the Holy Roman Emperor during the period of publishing.

The second paragraph should again be brief, use content given in the source to explain the background, and general meanings.
If it says 'I am getting tired of military action in the Indian ocean', this could suggest he is planning an attack on enemies.

The third paragraph is the most important and valuable - context in greater detail.
From your knowledge, asses how valuable the source is, in terms of why it was produced (what is the motive of the publisher).
If the source is a diary, we expect the information to be truthful, as the writer would not expect the information to be disclosed.
If the source is a newspaper article, consider who wrote the article, who's in charge of the media. Do they simply want to inform, or persuade?
If you can recall other sources, with similar information - use this as cross-checking; or increasing the likelihood that the information given in the source is valuable, because it is published elsewhere.

Hope this helps somewhat
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.46%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.82%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.17%

Watched Threads